Times and Distances

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
betsey

Times and Distances

Post by betsey »

Firstly I have to say i love this app! i've never run before and i'm getting fitter (and smaller!) as the weeks go on but... i'm training for a mini marathon (10K) and i've no way of knowing when i run outside how far i'm going so its difficult to track my pace and distances. Up to this i've been concentrating on completing each run and now i'm on week 6 i'd like to know how far i go each time. Does anyone else run another app alongside 'Get Running' to log their pace & distance or any suggestions on how to do this? I've tried using the google pedometer but i run through new estates with walk through shortcuts and google doesnt recognise lots of the areas i go through. I think my pace and distance is quiet low even for a beginner and want to improve them before the race in a few weeks. Thanks!
benjohn

Re: Times and Distances

Post by benjohn »

I cometely agree with your approach of not worrying about your speed for now, but it is nice to know! If you are using an iPhone with a GPS, then Run Keeper is perfect for tracking your distance, and it's free!
PMJW

Post by PMJW »

Hi

I have to agree with benjohn - Run Keeper is perfect for tracking distances speeds etc.. on the iphone
betsey

Post by betsey »

thanks a mil folks, i'll give that a try
HalfMast

Post by HalfMast »

Is there any trick to running both of these apps at the same time? I downloaded iMapMyRun but was afraid that as soon as I started up GetRunning, it would stop recording.

BTW, if GetRunning had the option of recording distance and route, it would become the ultimate app! Just and idea (maybe for a GetRunning Plus?).
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

Depending on your iDevice Apple will have the solution for you on the 21st of this month.

The Operating system (now known as iOS) that iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads runs on is due to change to version 4.0, which with later devices will bring some new stuff, but the main thing will be multitasking, allowing you to run Runkeeper, and Get Running at the same time. Its a free upgrade via iTunes for all devices from Apple.

Now for the catches:

For the Touch and iphone:
If you own a 1st generation device (iPhone 2G or 1st gen Touch) you wont be able to upgrade
If you own a 2nd generation device (iPhone 3G or 2nd gen Touch [this includes the current 8Gb device]) you can upgrade, but wont be able to get the multitasking.
If you own a 3rd generation device (iPhone 3GS or current model Touch 32Gb and 64Gb) you can upgrade and get full multitasking. So you'll be able to run both apps at the same time.

If youre crazy enough to take one running, iPads wont get 4.0 till autumn.

If youre getting the new iPhone on the 24th of this month, then everything will be ready to go out of the box.
Leonie

Post by Leonie »

Or you just jailbreak your iPhone and install Backgrounder...I use the Getrunning ap at the same time as Runkeeper and iPod.
shytalkz

Post by shytalkz »

Toilet Duck wrote:...If youre crazy enough to take one running, iPads wont get 4.0 till autumn...
Hah, conjures up quite a vision, doesn't it?! :lol:
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

A quick bit of feedback about this…

I'm working on updating Get Running for iOS 4. The update isn't going to be available when iOS 4 launches (sorry), but will be available soon after. Until the update, the existing Get Running will work fine with iOS 4, though.

With iOS4, I very much hope it'll be possible for Get Running to work as a background application (in the way that "Toilet Duck" talks about).

Having Get Running as a background application requires "Multi Tasking", which will only happen if your iPhone or iPod that can handle it. Since the iPod Touch doesn't have GPS, this means that you'll need an iPhone 3Gs or iPhone 4 to use Get Running at the same time as something like Run Keeper. If you've got another device, Get Running will still work in the way you're used to without any problems, you'll just not be able to track your run with a second app.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I've been battling with making it all work – it's unfortunately rather non obvious (to put it mildly), but I think I'm making some progress!

Thanks for all your support, everyone, and I'm looking forward to giving you a multi-tasking Get Running soon…

Happy Running,
Benjohn
LuRPh

Post by LuRPh »

I have a first-gen iPhone, so I also haven't had the option to use the time/distance apps. (Yes, i've already pre-ordered an iPhone 4.) :). Anyway, what I've been using is an inexpensive pedometer (not an app - the "old-fashioned" kind you clip to your waistband) that tracks not only steps, but distance in either miles or kilometers. It's simple to calibrate to your stride and actually pretty accurate.