A New Me

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Catherine_M

A New Me

Post by Catherine_M »

Hi Everyone,

My names Catherine, I'm 28 years old and live in Kent and (confession time) I am a couch potato!! But hopefully not for long.

I''ve done the first week and my god I never realised how unfit I was. I have introduced the world to my tomato face and plodded my way through the first 3 runs and whilst I find the embarrassment of my heavy footed running and tomato face awful there is alot of satisfaction when I get to the end of the run and find it's all I can think about (02:22 in the morning and I can't sleep thinking about starting week 2 later today!!!!)

First run I did around a park, I plodded my way round and on several occasions didn't think I would make it too the end but thankfully I did or I don't think I would have had the motivation to do another run. My red face lasted for hours after which was annoying as had to go to work and putting foundation on was intresting.

I had a days rest then went for my second run, I decided not to do the park again as felt the people in the park were judgeing me so picked I big loop along the roads, lots of people but atleast not the same ones seeing me run stop run etc.... Still I struggle and I start to worry I'm not cut out for this

3rd run .... Same route and slowed my pace down slightly and the run whilst still difficult was very satisfying and for the first time start to believe in this programe which is why I've decided to join the fourm now to hopefully keep me motivated!

I have never stuck to anything in my life but I'm so determined to do this.

Week 2 Run 1 tomorrow, wish me luck!!!

Catherine x
KeepTrying

Re: A New Me

Post by KeepTrying »

hey Catherine! Nice one! Sounds like you have managed the hardest step of it all - getting out there and givingit a go. Welcome to the Forum. You sound really motivated. Keep your pace as slow as you like. Th eidea is to develop stamina and endurance - not speed. There's so many who have done really well with this that i'm sure you'll find lots of motivating stories here. Good luck with w2r1 and keep posting here! :D
Catherine_M

Post by Catherine_M »

Thanks for your kind comments KeepTrying, it's rather nice you were the first to comment as it was after reading your journey last night that inspired me to post on here, you have done fantastic and you must be so proud of yourself!!!

Have completed Week 2 Run 1 today, went to a huge park and it was nice as my husband bought my 2 Chihuahuas along for a walk so every now and again I could grab their leads and take them for a circuit around the park.

I'm pretty sure towards the end people could have overtaken me walking but as long as I'm still plodding along I'm happy, I'm sure speed will get better with time.

Did a nice long stretching session in the sun in the park and have had a nice hot bath and am feeling good, no achy muscles for the first time.

Will be having a day off and then will have to do my next run after a 12 hour shift in the dark so I'm hoping my motivation will hold out until then.

Off for a cheeky fish and chips with the Mother in law's now ... Why does everything that tastes so good be so bad for us!!!

Hope everyones elses runs have gone well

Catherine x
Catherine_M

Post by Catherine_M »

Not such a good end to the day, after being really proud of myself a friend made a joke that if the Chihuahuas were able to keep up I must have been walking.

I know they were only joking and probally right that I was going rather slow but it still hurts my feelings a bit :roll:

My friend however has never run for anything in his life so I'm trying to not dwell on the lack of support from him, I have to accept not everyone is going to be so interested as me about running and will make jokes.

I can't wait until I can do my 5K race, that'll shut him up :P

Catherine
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

Catherine - I'm always grateful for the very slow walkers I come across during my runs. Passing them counters the feeling I get when speed-walkers pass me. My Jack Russell may barely break a trot when I bring him along, but I'm still running.

Keep it up, and try not to fret about your pace for now. With every week you complete, you get to say you've accomplished something you've never done before. That's a wonderful thing!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Catherine,
Where I run is fairly secluded but I found that as I approached people I would speed up a bit. I've stopped that now because all it did was mess up my run by tiring me too quickly. I realised that nobody else actually cares how fast or slow I'm going. It was all in my mind... that voice saying "they're going to laugh at you going that slow". No they aren't. And even if it did it would be more a sign of their own insecurities than a real judgement on me.

I used to be in awe of people I saw running, and used people I saw starting out and the effort it took to say to myself "why would anybody want to do that?" It made me feel better about the fact that I was an unhealthy slob.

I'm running for me. It feels good. All I have to do is stick to the programme and I will be running just like the people I was in awe of in a very very short time. I just did my week 6 run 3 25 minutes of continual running yesterday. Running for 25 minutes solid in just 6 weeks! It's amazing. I spent last night thinking back to my first week and how tough it seemed. Now I would do that week with no bother at all. Keep it up Catherine. It really really works and it opens up a whole new part of life that was closed to us before we started this. Races, Adventure races, new friends, better health, more energy, a real and justified feeling of achievement and lets not forget that fit people are more attractive. Don't tell me you never looked at a bloke running and thought "hmmmm". It's a natural selection thing. So running can even improve your relationship! ... you just need to get your husband started too now. My other half started a few weeks after I did once the surprise that I was able to do it wore off.
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Catherine_M wrote:....after being really proud of myself....
Hey Catherine. Hold onto that proud feeling! I'm sure it is only being in awe of what you are doing that made him make those comments :mrgreen:. You are doign this for you not for anyone else. You've already come a long way by getting started. Enjoy it. And he'll eat his words in 8 weeks! ;)
Mike
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Hi catherine.
My name is Alva. Im in Ireland. Started just about the same time as you and just did week 2 run 2 this morning. Found it much easier the w2 r 1. That said I had to drag myself out there. Just didn't feel like it this morning. Really glad I went as I felt great after and like you I am really proud of myself. Don't listen tonpeople who try to put you down. We all have to start somewhere!!
I do doubt myself a lot and feel like I'll never get there but that has to be untrue based on what others are posting here. Everyone and anyone can get fit. My problem is that I expect too much too soon.
Please keep posting - I'm doing this on my own and need the motivation!!
Best of luck with your next run - let us know how it goes.
Regards, Ailbhe (ALva)
Catherine_M

Post by Catherine_M »

Thank you so much everyone, I'm touched by your responses and very much inspired by you all.

Feeling alot more positive today, having a rest day today and Husband had a hospital appointment up London so after went around Oxford and Bond street and treated myself to a proper pair of running shoes. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow.

I'm working on my husband runnig with me, he's very reluctant but have got him coming for long walks which is a start atleast

Again thanks all for your support!
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Aha! New running shoes! Now you'll definitely keep with the programme. Enjoy your next run. The great feeling of achievement will last all day.