Returning after 4 months of back pain!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
caffrin

Returning after 4 months of back pain!

Post by caffrin »

Hi,
I completed this brilliant programme back at the end of June (my photo is on the home page ;) ). I was 3 to 4 stone overweight and very unfit indeed (and 42) but continued to enjoy a regular run and reaching a top distance of nearly 6km! Unfortunately at the beginning of July I strained my back, not by running, but by hoovering of all things, then running through the back pain until the whole thing went into a spasm! It stopped me dead in my tracks and has taken 4 months before I can even do a light jog. It was very debilitating and painful and very depressing! :cry: This week however, is the 1st week I have been able to jog for a minute without getting pinches and spasms in my lower back :D So after this week I think I will be ready to re-do the programme again. I have lost almost 2 stone since I started this programme and have another stone to go (although I may lose a bit more after that).
So I just want to say if you get a niggle of pain in your back, foot, knee anywhere that wont go DO NOT run through it! It will definitely make it worse. Go and see a physio straight away and get it sorted. If I did that It wouldn't have got this bad in the first place. But I haven't lost the bug. I am still raring to go and cant wait to do another 5k parkrun (parkrun.com) which I don't think I will be fit enough for until January sadly. Anyway I shall keep you posted and hope to start the programme from week 1 on Monday next week :D
Catherine
www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
KeepTrying

Re: Returning after 4 months of back pain!

Post by KeepTrying »

Welcome back Catherine! Glad your back is on the mend. I hope you are soon able to do the runs you wish to do. You've done great to come back to it. it'll be like meeting an old friend again when you start to hear Coach Claire's voice :-)
Cheers Mike
Last edited by KeepTrying on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queeny

Post by Queeny »

Hi,

You have given us all very good advice, thanks for sharing your experience - it must have been very hard for you.

It's great through that you are back here and are starting the plan again :-)

The link you supplied is great (parkrun.com) it excatly the kind of thing I was looking for, so once I've completed the plan, I will be signing up locally!

Hope all goes well for you and keep us updated on your progress x
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Yay!! I did day 1 week 1 yesterday having had a dream about running the night before :shock: I managed the whole run without any back niggles at all and am still pain free 48 hours later! I have clearly lost some of my fitness as by run 7 I was beginning to struggle with the breathing. Mind you, the first time round I struggled on the 5 minute warm up :roll: I'll do another run tomorrow and hopefully manage a 5k parkrun at Christmas!. Keep it all going guys and Happy Running!
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

caffrin wrote:Yay!! I did day 1 week 1 yesterday .....
Fantastic news! Glad it all went well. Even if you have lost some fitness - you clearly are startnig way beyond where you were first time around. Cheers. Keep Running and Keep posting!
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Just did week 2 run 1 and it was great. Got a bit tight in my left hamstring towards the end but stretching soon sorted that out. My back was completely pain free so I am really pleased and hope to continue. My lung capacity has really shrunk! But it is definitely better this time around. next run on Saturday! eek :D
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

YAY !!!!
Did run 2 week 2 yesterday and my lungs seem to be catching up quite quickly. My next run is due on Monday but I won't be able to do that so will do it today. I know we are supposed to have a days rest but as I have had 4 months rest I need to make up for it. Hope you are all still going great. I see the dreaded week 5 is still the major milestone! Good luck to all who have that this week. The secret is to do it slowly. It's not a race. xx