Need advice on Week 3

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jenshew

Need advice on Week 3

Post by Jenshew »

I just finished week 2 and am supposed to start week 3 on Monday. How on earth am I going to go from running 1 and a half minutes to running 3? I'm worried. Any advice?
YikesMn

Re: Need advice on Week 3

Post by YikesMn »

The best advice that anyone gave me was to keep my pace slow and steady. Remember, your runs are about building endurance at this point. You don't need to worry about speed at all. Each time I got to a new week, I got a little freaked out by the inceased times, but I managed to make it through. However, if you try the 3 minute runs, and they are just too much, you can always repeat week 2 until you're ready.

If I remember correctly, there is a very nice message from coach Claire at the end of this run.

Good luck and good running.
- Shari
mrswheezer

Post by mrswheezer »

I completely understand the nervousness. Just go slow, and you will make it. I am finding that each time the 'run time' goes up, my distance goes down a bit, though. It is the result of slowing my run pace way down. As I get more confident (runs 2 and 3), my pace increases and the distance goes back up again.

I am very surprised with how well I've adjusted to each step up from week to week (ran W6, R1 yesterday). The designer of this program really knew what he was doing even when it comes to couch potato extraordinaires such as myself. :)
Jenshew

Post by Jenshew »

Thanks so much for the advice. I did W3 run 1 today and it was great! Probably easier than my last run. I'm feeling much more confident about the rest of the week now.
mrswheezer

Post by mrswheezer »

I am so glad it went well! :D
Carlos_wsop

Post by Carlos_wsop »

Glad your run went well , you soon see as each run gets longer what the programme is all about , your stamina is being slowly increased each week so although the length of the run seems daunting you'll be surprised how easy each run is as long as u don't go to fast for yourself , I was like u but now I'm on week 5 run 3 tomorrow (20min run) and even though I know it will be tough I can't wait to do it . All u really have to remember is your pace is everything just run to what suits you no matter how slow , good luck for the rest of the programme .

Carl
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Jenshew wrote:Thanks so much for the advice. I did W3 run 1 today and it was great! Probably easier than my last run. I'm feeling much more confident about the rest of the week now.
Well done Jen! You've done great. Already doing 3 min runs. How's that for a result already :) I agree with the others. Keep your pace slow. Let your body get used to this new skill you are learning (or re-learning). The aim is slowly to build your endurance. Speed and pace aren't important. Keep it comfortable. And enjoy! Mike
Jenshew

Post by Jenshew »

Thanks, everyone! Two runs down and one to go for this week. Wednesday I ran even though a windy cold front blew in just as I started out. It was more difficult, but I made it. I'm enjoying this feeling of accomplishment.
SammyN

Post by SammyN »

Hi there! I've got Wk3 run 3 left to do this week, am attempting it tomorrow - I've found running the 3 minutes bareable, but it scares me that I am supposed to do a 5min run next week - I really don't think I'm ready for it - think I may have to repeat this week...
bravotango60

Post by bravotango60 »

What is cool about the next week is the runs you struggle on this week are a piece of cake next week...you will feel like you have 3 min runs mastered....week 4 you will feel like you have 5 min runs mastered....it just keeps building...I am doing week 9 run 2 tonight for 30 mins...never in a million years thinking I would ever master last week's 28 mins...etc, etc! Focus on your current week!