Wondering when the good days start to outnumber the bad ones

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dunna

Wondering when the good days start to outnumber the bad ones

Post by Dunna »

Hi everyone.
I've just come home after week 5 run 1 and I'm just sitting here wondering why some days seem so hard while others are pretty good - not easy but enjoyable!
Maybe I'm being too hard on myself but last week run 1 and run 2 I loved it! I felt great so alive despite actually being sick. Today I did it but I just wasn't jumping for joy.
I suppose I'm just wondering how others felt at this stage - am I being unrealistic expecting to enjoy everyday at this stage. I have to remind myself - I'm only starting the fifth week.
I'm In need of inspiration.
Thanks in advance!
Ailbhe
bravotango60

Re: Wondering when the good days start to outnumber the bad

Post by bravotango60 »

I don't know that I love running yet. (Week 8 run 1 tonight) but I get out there every day that I am supposed to. It's actually dread sometimes BUT once I get out there and get going, it's on!!! I absolutely love the way I feel at the end of a run! It makes everything worthwhile! I failed one time (Week 7 Run 1) because I decided to try and run my 25 mins on a treadmill. I failed miserably. So it was back outside for me!!

Are you running inside or out? I would recommend outside as much as possible! I live in a subdivision and just take different streets each time to change things up! I find being outside I can breathe much better!

I have 6 more runs to complete this program and although I enjoy Claire, I am looking forward to completing it and then working on speed/distance.

You can do this! Don't let anything keep you from your run on your appointed day. Just keep your eye on the prize which is completing your program one run at a time!
Birgit

Post by Birgit »

Maybe you should turn it around and think about the satisfaction in completing this programme, that you do it for yourself - it's your project, and you can be proud of each week you complete.

I am... eventhough I dread the 20 mins tomorrow (w5,r3) I am 100% certain that I will be out there tomorrow afternoon - probably gasping through the last 10 mins of the run, but I'll do my utmost to complete it running - and so will you!

You've actually been running three times per week in 5 weeks - that's something!!

Keep up the good run ;)
Birgit
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Dunna wrote:Hi everyone. .... In need of inspiration.
Hi Ailbhe. You are your own inspiration! Look how far you have already come. Week 5 sees a ramp up in what you need to do. You'll fly through the w5r3 and then you have a badge of being able to run 20 mins non-stop! :P Cuold you have even contemplated that a couple of months ago? Everyone has cruddy days. Whne the legs are complaining. When the head is not in the right place to enjoy the run. You've done fab to continue your runs through the wet Autumn days. I'm sure it is easier running in the Spring and Summer for most people - but especially so if you are not (yet) a regular runner. The programme is hard work - there is no doubt of that. But like much hard work - it will pay off for you - and there will be ups and downs. But keep going. Congratulate yoruself. I bet you that the endorphin buzz will start happenign more and more when you are beyone the w5r3 point. BW Mike
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Hi guys. Thanks for all your support. I completed run 2 today. The second run was hard going. I am still Dying to get out there but I'm finding it really tough. I was out there today thinking about how easy it would be to give up but I won't!! I struggled around today and I'll struggle around again on friday. I really don't want to fail and I an determined. My local running track is flooded at the minute so I'm running in the park. It's lovely but there is a bit of up and down. I am happy with the up and down because I think it's more realistic for when I am running on the road but I wish the track was dry for Friday!! I'm nervous. But i will do it - one run at a time and slowly.
Cheers everyone - really appreciate the support!!
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

Good going Ailbhe. Glad to see that you're continuing. Yesterday, I did what should have been my last run for week 8. I took several days off due to a calf strain and found that I couldn't go nearly as far as I had in the past few weeks. Additionally, I decided to go with my Jack Russell, who runs faster than I do. Taking his pace made it more difficult as well.

All that said, I do get the up and down feelings. One thing that really helps me out is reminding myself that only a few weeks ago, I could barely do the one minute runs. It actually took me two times through week one to finish it. This past Thursday, I ran for 33 minutes. I hope that by remembering where you were, and how amazing it is that you're running so far now, it will help you get through the Why-in-the-world-am-I-doing-this-when-I-can-be-at-home-watching-Dr Who-reruns? days.

My best - Shari
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

YikesMn wrote:.... I took several days off due to a calf strain ...
Ouch. I can sympathise! My left hamstring went 'ping' tonight around 4km into my 6.5km run. Ouch. Had to slow right down. Decided I'll have to slow down my pace and ease up a bit. But it's all good fun. After all - it's easy to strain a muscle getting off a sofa! So at least I can feel virtuous for having pulled my leg while running! LOL :D
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

So true Mike. I would much rather admit to an athletic injury, than a sprain from hauling myself off of the couch.

I had a nice run today and even hit a personal distance best. Perhaps my 4 days off was a good thing after all. Seriously, amazes me that 1.) I'm running at all, and 2.) that I love it so much.
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

YikesMn wrote:So true Mike. I would much rather admit to an athletic injury, than a sprain from hauling myself off of the couch.

I had a nice run today and even hit a personal distance best. Perhaps my 4 days off was a good thing after all. Seriously, amazes me that 1.) I'm running at all, and 2.) that I love it so much.
Great! Got any snow out there on your side of the Atlantic yet?
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Get you two - boasting about your sports injuries!! Hope you both recover quickly - I know i say I'm struggling and I'm finding it tough but I would HATE to be laid up. After my 20 min run today (!!) I now realise that actually I'm not struggling. I'm doing really well. If it was meant to be easy I wouldn't need this app, I'd have been doing it years ago and my friends wouldn't be amazed at my progress. I also wouldn't post on here and boast to my family if I wasn't secretly proud of myself.
Woke up this morning to a beautiful blue sky and a shining sun. After what feels like weeks of rain we are having a movie perfect crisp autumn day and I am so pleased to have started it off with a 20 min run!!
I am a runner!!
Thanks once more for all the support - I appreciate it very very much.
Ailbhe