Newbie - Help with breathing?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
CambridgeDietLady

Newbie - Help with breathing?

Post by CambridgeDietLady »

Hi all,

I did my week 1 run 1 today, so a complete noob. I'm hoping to get into this running lark having lost 4 stone 2 years ago and then eventually quite the cigs 10 months ago so was hoping to find it a bit easier than my last attempt 2 years ago.

I wonder if you could offer me any advice with regards to how to regulate breathing? I seem to be all over the place. I know, (having studied the chemistry of respiration) that I'm not getting enough oxygen as I'm getting a build of lactic acid in a muscle at this early stage. I think this is something I should sort now before I get into it.

many thanks in advance.

C x
KeepTrying

Re: Newbie - Help with breathing?

Post by KeepTrying »

Hi CDLady - and welcome! Well done on joining the programme - and this forum. My only bit of advice is to slow down. Your running minutes should be slow enough to be able to hold a conversation if there is someone with you (or if not - just talk to yourself ;) ). Most of us - in the early stages - make the mistake of making the runs too fast. Also breathe through an open mouth - not your nose. Good luck - and share how it is going!
CambridgeDietLady

Post by CambridgeDietLady »

Thanks for your quick reply :D

I could definitely speak to someone with me in the first 4 or 5 runs, after that there would have been no chance lol. Yes doing the mouth thing. I think I'm concentrating too much on it if you know what I mean and making it an issue. I'm not fast anyway, got overtaken by a snail on 1st one lol.
starknut

Post by starknut »

I find that breathing to a count of two is what works for me. Inhale as my feet hit the ground twice, exhale as my feet hit the ground twice. It's different for everyone, though, but the two-count is what feels natural to me.
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

Welcome!
I read early on to inhale as deeply as possible and exhale as thoroughly as possible. I'm a fairly slow runner, but I can still carry on a conversation during a 30 minute run. I inhale on three strides and exhale on two. I breath through both my mouth and nose, and fill my diaphragm as well as my lungs. I'm 47, 3 stone overweight and have just recently cut back to a few cigs a day and this method is working for me. I haven't had any cramps yet.
Congratulations for starting this great program. Keep slow and steady, make sure you have good shoes, and get ready to amaze yourself.