Week 6

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Carlos_wsop

Week 6

Post by Carlos_wsop »

Just got in from my stretches after run 1 of week 6 , tried to increase my pace a bit today and all seemed to go well , covered just under the 5k distance inc walks (3.04 miles ) , so considering 16 mins of the 34mins today was walking I am well chuffed , really got the hand of my breathing technique which helps enormously and when I look back to week 1 my breathing was all over the place . I see after my next run the next 4 runs are all for 25mins so I may do 1 or 2 of them at the gym , I prefer the roads personally as I find it harder to run outside than indoors mainly due to the constant changes in gradient you get outdoors , anyway pleased week 6 is off and running and I can see light at the end of the tunnel now , I've even been looking for my 1st 5k event in the new year .
Birgit

Re: Week 6

Post by Birgit »

Hi Carlos
I also did the w6,r1 yesterday - it was harder than the 20 mins?!

I don't know how far I run - how do you measure the distance? I've mapped out a rute on the internet, but that is inclusive of the walking, so it is not so accurate.

At the moment I have the iPod and the get running app running on my iPhone, will I need to add another app to it?? (Me being technically challenged.... :roll: )

Birgit
Carlos_wsop

Post by Carlos_wsop »

Hi Birgit looks like we started the programme at same time , to measure my distance I use another ap at the same time it's called imap my run and it's free , just start this ap going close it down and start the get running ap and it will map the route you've run for you and tell you how far you've gone and alot of other stuff like calories used average pace etc it's very useful , eventually I will get a proper sports GPS watch , hope this helps ,

Carl
Petra

Post by Petra »

Birgit wrote:Hi Carlos
I don't know how far I run - how do you measure the distance? I've mapped out a rute on the internet, but that is inclusive of the walking, so it is not so accurate.
Birgit
You can download the free app Runkeeper. It keeps track of how far you've run, the calories you've burned and your speed. However, the speed is measured in minutes per kilometers, while I'm used to thinking in kilometers per hour. It also produces a nice map of track you've run.

Petra.
Carlos_wsop

Post by Carlos_wsop »

Week 6 run 2 now complete , getting a bit worried as each run I do seems to go without any real probs , looked at the programme and I see it's just running all the way to the end of the programme ( week9 ) , 25 min run on Wednesday is next up and I can't wait , didn't think I'd be saying that after week 1 lol .
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

It's maddness Carlos LOL. I can't believe that I'm not only running (44 min today), but that I look forward to it. I found that once I passed the 20 min. runs, it was easy to run several minutes more each time. A few weeks ago, I would have wondered WHY someone would want to run farther than prescribed.
I'm really bummed that coach Clair only has 9 weeks programmed in. I'll have to find a woman from the UK with Austrailian undertones who is willing to make a recording for my coming runs :)
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

BTW - I started using RunKeeper along with KeepRunning at about week 6. It works well, and gives me a nice boost when I go back and see how far I've come with distance, pace and amount of time run. You can also set it so that the voice tells you when you hit each mile or kilometer. I especially liked hearing it when I crossed the 5k mark at the very moment I did it. It was a good cue to start a happy dance.
Birgit

Post by Birgit »

Well well well - I did not like the 2 x 10 mins run yesterday - nearly gave up after the first 9 mins, and struggled through the next 10 min run. Absolutely lousy day - me not happy :cry:

Will try the Runkeeper app next to iPod & get running tomorrow - and see how the 25-min run goes...

Unfortunately, I have also put on weight - not owing to the running, but to what I buy (and eat :roll: ) - must have something to do with the new no smoking habit. Still not smoking, just eating... (3 kg in 3 weeks is not good, definitely not - something to work on...)

Well, I just hope that Wednesday will be a lot better than Monday was...
B
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Poor Birgit. I feel your pain. Dont even think about the weight - you've stopped smoking. That's what matters. It'll come off again. As for the running - probdbly just a bad day?! I had a few of those last week but I'm loving week six.
Run 1 & 2 done feeling great - was so much more comfortable today on run two. Started out really slowly and it paid off. Can't believe I'm at unbroken run stage!
I away for work so my first 25 min run will be in beautiful Killarney. Should find a nice route there.
Love this app!
Happy running people!
Birgit

Post by Birgit »

The 25-min running went well, actually very well. I am a bit surprised, as I had imagined that I would have to walk when I reached the 10-15 minutes, but no - I ran on and on (slowly though). So I'm still hangin' in ;)
Have a nice running weekend
Birgit