One down!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
bloomers

One down!

Post by bloomers »

Hey guys!

Just finished run 1, and boy was that tough!! I felt a bit woozy and faint afterwards but I'm really proud that I managed to run 8 mins! I thought I wouldnt be able to run 30 seconds!

Just wanted to say hi and let you all know that your posts have inspired me to start the program. I'm doing it mostly so I can lose weight - I've recently lost 8 kilos and need to lose 8 more :)

I'm glad run 2 is the same as run 1 though- I was a bit nervous to up the ante already!!

Bloomers x
starknut

Re: One down!

Post by starknut »

Welcome, Bloomers! Getting started is the hardest, so congratulations on completing that first run! I hope you find the rest of week one's runs a little easier, now that you know you can do it.

Best of luck to you!
June194

Post by June194 »

Well done Bloomers!
I have just finished week one. Found the first run really hard and I could hardly move for about 3 days afterwards. Did second run after 4 days (instead of the 2 recommended) and found it a bit easier than week one and there was certainly not as much pain! Just finished run 3 but this was 6 days after run 2 due to work and weather. Ended up doing it on the treadmill at the gym and found it so much easier than the other two, not sure if it was because I am getting a bit fitter of it was becasue I did it on the treadmill. Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but looking forward to week 2 now!! Will try to start week 2 run 1 on the correct day and see how it goes. Keep up the good work, will be interested to see how you feel your first week went :)
Wardy11

Post by Wardy11 »

Hey Bloomers,

I did my first run tonight and I ache already! Am going to stick with it though and it's nice to talk to others who are starting out too! Well done

Wardy.
bloomers

Post by bloomers »

Wow thanks for all the encouragement guys!! I got up early and did run 2 this morning- I think it was marginally easier than the first. I just kept thinking 'if I have done this once, I can do it again!' which seemed to work! I think thats probably the best thing about the program, usually you will repeat a run before moving to the next stage..

I was still really sore from run 1 but once I got moving it seemed to fade which was a relief :)

And I caught a glimpse of my shadow during, which was super funny cause I could see exactly how slow I was going. Made me think 'god it will be good to look back on that when I'm like a full-on athlete' haha!

Will let you guys know how I get on in the 3rd run.. I'm kindof excited!
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Well done for getting started. I downloaded the app in July and didn't get started until September!!
Try to remember as you go along that success depends a lot on what's in your mind. If you believe you can do it you will. So don't think about how hard it ( sometimes) feels think about how amazing it is that you are doing it instead.
Good luck and keep posting. That's what gets me through.
Melo36

Post by Melo36 »

nice one bud keep it up sure ur well on the way now let us know how ur next one goes good luck runner :-)
bloomers

Post by bloomers »

Hey guys, again thanks for all the kind words.

I'm a bit bummed out today- was really tired getting up this morning but thought 'no I have to do this!' so I went out on the run expecting it to be easy.. Straight away I was struggling and gasping and stuff. Managed to do most of it but in run 7 I had to stop running halfway through and walk (I was going up a hill). I managed to do the whole 8th run but I'm just furious with myself as I KNOW I can do it, and I feel like all that effort was wasted. :(

I mean, it was stupidly humid this morning which may have been a factor, but it feels like a step back you know?

So now I need opinions from you guys- I'm resting over the weekend but for Monday, do you think I should go on as planned to week 2 or repeat week 1? Did you find week 2 a lot harder than week 1?

Bloomers x
starknut

Post by starknut »

Don't be too hard on yourself: EVERYONE has bad days. My last run, I didn't have a problem with being too winded, but my goodness, I felt like I could barely put one foot in front of the other! It happens, don't beat yourself up.

I suggest going ahead and trying week 2. If you find it too difficult, you can always scrap that and go back to week 1. You might find week 2 totally manageable, but you won't know until you get out there and try it! ;)

By the way, I sympathize about the humidity. One day I got up for a run and the humidity was over 90%. That alone makes a run that much harder!
June194

Post by June194 »

I agree, don't be too hard on yourself - at the end of the day, you still did run 3. I can't really sympathis with you on the humidity thing (live in Scotland - when it rains and is blowing a hooly, get back to me and we can compare notes all day :lol: ). I can sympathise with the hills though - they are killers! I did w1r3 and w2r1 on the treadmill and found it much easier. Think its because you are on an even surface, its a lot gentler on the joints ( well I think so anyway) and you can control the pace very accurately. Give it a go if you can get to a gym - I'd be interested to hear how you found it. Keep yer chin up though :)
June