I have no idea if I can do this!!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Polly

I have no idea if I can do this!!!

Post by Polly »

Hi and help!
Day 1 for me... I have never beenable to run before. Walk for miles & miles. But no running!!! Downloaded app yesterday and got up this morning & went. Managed it, but only just. Was out of breathe at end of last run and a Lycra clad lady sprinted past me!!!
Gosh I hope I can do this. X
niddynoddy

Re: I have no idea if I can do this!!!

Post by niddynoddy »

Hi,

you really don't needto worry about whether you can do this because you did! You dud run 1! I have just done my last run of week 3 and I never would have thought I could jog for 3 mins. I find music really helps me to take my mind off 'how much further'.

Keep going with it, don't push the walking inbetween, I find I need to go at a leisurely pace and not the brisk pace she suggests. Me and speed do not go together.

When is your next run? I also do silly things like imagining the marathon finish line when she says 30secs to go.

Zoe
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thanks Zoe
next run is on tues!
Need to focus on the weekly breakdown rather than the final goal.
I made myself a running playlist on my iPod.
Very dancey music, and it did help.
Good luck to you xxx
kishe_lily

Post by kishe_lily »

Hi there,

I was in exactly the same boat as you were when I started the programme (I think that was back in March!), I found it a major struggle to complete even a week 1 run, and it took me ages to progress to week 2, only to find myself having missed a couple of runs because I was visiting my grandparents and having to start over. I know all of this sounds really negative, but I'm coming to the motivational good bit!

I'm now on my third week of week 3 runs, and pretty certain I'm going to move on to week four next week. Yes, I am progressing extremely slowly, and there have been times when I've really just wanted to give it all up and sit on the sofa with an ice cream. But, I know I am actually progressing, and as much as it's a struggle and while I am massively envious of all those people who rush through this program without any trouble, I know that when I do get to the end of this, it will be a massive personal achievement and something that I can be very proud of myself for, simply because it didn't come easy.

So try not to be too hard on yourself and don't beat yourself up for struggling or failing to progress as fast as the program wants you to, just try and stay in touch with yourself and focus on how far you've come since you started. Even getting to the stage where you're ready to move up to week 2 is a big step. Don't give up!
Polly

Post by Polly »

Have spent most of the day thinking Im rather fab for doing my first run!!! :lol:
However this evening my legs seems to be seizing up! :roll:
Does this mean Ive done something wrong?
Actually want to go out tomorrow night for a run rather than wait...
Maybe not a good idea
niddynoddy

Post by niddynoddy »

Hi,

Good for you, you should feel really proud of yourself.

With regards to your stiff legs, did you stretch properly after your first run? If they feel really sore, get some moisturiser or oil and give them a good massage.

As for how often, every other day is plenty, so 3 times a week. I know I definetly need to have a day off between runs more my little legs to recover. I ran today and if I dont run tomorrow it will be thursday before I can go again. But do you know what, thats fine. My knee is really sore and could do with an extended rest and hopefully when I go out again it will feel better, especially as I am moving into week 4 and 5 min runs! SCARY!!!!!!

I also found stretching my muscles between workouts really helpful. My little legs has not seen exercise for a very long while and it was actually nice to feel muscles stretching that I had forgot were there. :lol:

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Zoe
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi All and Polly....What a great thread! :)

I echo what everyone else has said Polly - If I can do this anyone can! I have hated running all my life, I am 44 and overweight......I didn't believe I would ever gat past the 1 min runs they were so tough but I am on week 7 now (although having a mare of a week of runs...not because of the time running...other things keep getting in the way) I can't believe how amazing it feels to complete each week.

It's great to hear everyone's accounts :)

I would imagine Benjohn may come on with advice about skipping rest days, he has posted in other places about it....something he said struck me....basically, even though your lungs / heart might feel able to do more, your muscles need time to rest and develop, so the advice was try stick to the program so your body can catch up and heal. I am sure some of the more experienced runners will chip in....

Well done anyway :)

Dawn
Polly

Post by Polly »

What lovely people are out there!!!
I feel like Forrest gump... Run Forres run...
Haha
bring on tues! ( I will wait!)
thanks again
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi everyone,

This _is_ a great thread! Well done starting it, Polly. I think probably about half of people who get out there and do their first run feel the same way afterwards; perhaps we should add more encouragement at the end of the first week to let you know what a brilliant thing you've done! You really have – remember that many people who get as far as buying the program never even go out for that first run, which is a real shame :-(

Dawn is spot on about taking rest days: it is a good idea to follow the advice the program gives. If you just can't fit the runs and breaks in to your schedule in the suggested way, or if you need to make alterations for a week or two, then go ahead and move things about a bit, that's okay. Do listen to your body though, and understand that it's doing something that can do, but it will take a while for it to get used to it :-)

Niddynoddy is also very right when she says you should feel happy to slow down if you need to. The important thing is to not get disheartened, and to come back and build up with the next run. A lot of people start out thinking that they've got to run quickly, and that's just not true – it's so important to find the pace you can run comfortably at. Once you've built up your endurance, then you can build up your speed. Don't worry about speed when you're starting :-)

kishe_lily makes a great point that you don't need to move on at the end of the each week. I'm glad you've found that Get Running lets you do that :-) I was okay with the first few weeks, but I repeated some of the later weeks a few times!

Well done for beginning – that's the hardest part finished already! Find the pace that's comfortable for you. Listen to other people that are supportive, and ignore anyone or anything that's not, including yourself ;-) Do try to take those rest days as advised, and remember that you can do it!
greenbrightly

Post by greenbrightly »

I felt exactly the same way as you're describing but I've nearly finished week 9 now. If you keep at it you'll soon be thinking "where do I go next?" :lol: