Unable to do first run

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
purplechai

Unable to do first run

Post by purplechai »

Set out for my first run today. I don't know if it is my orthotics, my feet or my shoes, but I barely made it through the first minute of run. The sides of my feet were in agony, and I could feel my shins seizing up.

Figured maybe my shoes were too tight (I like them tight) so loosened the laces, and was able to walk at least. Tried another run, I think I maybe made it 30 secs. Finished out walking to do the errand I was heading for, but by the time I got home I was wiped. Basically its all in my legs and feet, not that I couldn't breathe or anything.

Am I doing something wrong? My shoes are fairly new, but it is a model I have been wearing for a few years, and I wore them all through a baseball tournament this weekend - lots of walking.
benjohn

Re: Unable to do first run

Post by benjohn »

I get the impression that you're not having a problem with exhaustion, rather, it's extremely uncomfortable or painful to be running? It sounds to me like you might need to talk to someone who knows a good deal more about you; could you talk to the orthotic provider and ask for their advice?

I'm not an expert at all, but I'd hope that at most, you might need a few weeks of preparation to help loosen your legs up. Perhaps longer walks and lots of stretches. My advice is definitely to talk to someone who does know what they're talking about though! Is that a possibility for you?

Let me know!

Best regards,
Benjohn
purplechai

Post by purplechai »

Thankyou.

Yes, you have the right impression.

I did wonder about my orthotics. In June I will be eligable for my extended medical to cover another pair, so I'm holding out. Think I'll try without them in the meantime and see how that goes.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Has your practitioner suggested that you might have tight muscles or tendons? That could be something that they could prescribe particular stretches for. :-) I've no idea though! Glad to hear that you have an appointment coming up anyway – I hope they'll give some good advice!

Out of interest, do you find walking is usually okay? Perhaps you could begin by alternating normal walking with power walking, and then work up to the actual runs?