Comparing running with life

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Rina

Comparing running with life

Post by Rina »

Hi,
I'm doing w7 r3 tomorrow however this is the third time I've started the program in 18 months. The first time I got to about where I am now and the second time I only got to week 3.

As many have discussed I find running to push the limits of my positive psychological self talk. Particularly now that I'm close to my goal i.e. finishing week 9, I've noticed increasing negative thoughts while running ... "why don't you stop... You can't do this", "you can't succeed. It's too hard" etc. I try to neutralize this by telling myself, "I'm not quitting, I'm doing it" while I run.

This made me think about how my self talk progresses in other life situations. I noticed that when I'm close to succeeding and under physical pressure such as stress, in other life situations such as work or study, then I often react in a similar way and back off - scared of success... for whatever reason.

This got me thinking, is it possible that some of us that have difficulty finishing the program aren't any less fit or unmotivated but because we are afraid of putting ourselves first, having others envy us, scared of the attention, anxious about our change or any other personal reason.

Either way, I've decided I'm not giving up this time because now finishing means more to me than a physical achievement. I'm going to allow myself to succeed!

Has anyone else noticed running is a reflection of their life whether positive or negative?
Curtisthomasc

Re: Comparing running with life

Post by Curtisthomasc »

What an interesting comment, I think your describing a fairly common experience. I think human beings are generally adverse to the new experience preferring the comfort of familiarity. Undertaking journeys is common experience for all of us but when that journey takes us to a new place undoubtably that produces anxiety in us all - what do you do when you get there? perhaps it might help if you just think that the last training session is just one additional footstep on a longer journey and plan now what the next step will be ? Going somewhere new is fundamentally scary, but don't let that put you off, just remember your running with an army of people at the same time, I'm one of them.
Beckly

Post by Beckly »

Congratulations on deciding to push through. That is the hardest step that yhe majority of people will give up on. But you've noticed unit shortcomings and can now move on and conquer them.

I strongly believe that once you have succeeded in completing your running programma, pushing yourself in other areas will also become easier because uou have broken down that reinforced wall.

Good luck, keep pushing and through running, improve your life! A lot of people are too scared to admit their negative toughts and so will never conquer them. Without aanting to sound patronising - kudos to you!
BMI: 26.8

16lbs to lose until target weight.
starknut

Post by starknut »

Beckly wrote:Congratulations on deciding to push through. That is the hardest step that yhe majority of people will give up on. But you've noticed unit shortcomings and can now move on and conquer them.

I strongly believe that once you have succeeded in completing your running programma, pushing yourself in other areas will also become easier because uou have broken down that reinforced wall.

Good luck, keep pushing and through running, improve your life! A lot of people are too scared to admit their negative toughts and so will never conquer them. Without aanting to sound patronising - kudos to you!
This is so true. I went to therapy for anxiety, and one of the coping mechanisms I was advised to develop was positive reinforcement. As my therapist was so fond of reminding me, "a thought repeated becomes a belief." Even if you don't feel it at all, you tell yourself again and again, "I can do this, I can finish this, I am powerful and amazing and I can totally do this!" and at some point down the road, you are going to start to believe it.
Rina wrote:This got me thinking, is it possible that some of us that have difficulty finishing the program aren't any less fit or unmotivated but because we are afraid of putting ourselves first, having others envy us, scared of the attention, anxious about our change or any other personal reason.
Like you, I talked myself out of running. It was too hard. I was too fat. I wouldn't be any good at it. And my personal favorite: I'd look like a landwhale. And then I had my son, and that was the most intense experience of my life, and I told myself "if I can do that, I can do anything." Especially after I started therapy, it was easier to talk myself out of those negative thoughts. I had to remind myself all the time, it is not too hard, I am not too fat, who gives a flying FRIG if I'm not good at it. And I owned the title "landwhale." It's become a joke between my husband and myself. We'll be out running and every time I break a personal record, I yell "LANDWHALE IMPROVES." And it's funny. It helps keep me motivated, honestly.
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Very thought provoking. I am the kind of person who sets herself challenges and generally always gets there. So I did run three week 7 this evening and all I could think
Of was getting to the end and finishing the 25 mins. While I'm enjoying the programme and feeling great - amazed that my lungs are going stronger than my legs - I am wondering what'll happen when I finish week 9. I am due to finish at the end of December and I'm going to Australia for Christmas two weeks later. I am afraid that I'll give up at that stage and that all my good work will be in vain.
One of you said to look at this programme as the start of something bigger. I am planning a 10k in June but I think I need to sign up for a few 5 k fun runs in January/feb to keep me running.
As the end of get running comes closer I need a new app - keep running!!
Posting on here in the meantime is a great motivater!
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

Lately, running feels like the only thing I have any control over in my life. Finishing the program yesterday was a huge positive in a really difficult patch. Although I continued through each week, it was hard to believe that I would actually be able to run for 30 min. some day. It has truly changed my life.
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Yikesmn - huge congratulations. Well done. Hope you'll keep posting here - always valued your comments!
Queeny

Post by Queeny »

Hi,

I think your post is a really intresting topic, and has had me thinking since reading it when first added to the forum.

Since running I've noticed a lot of changes, but I think the main thing it has proven to myself is I can see things through to the end (well almost im starting week 7 tomorrow) and that keeping the week 9 goal in mind has really helped with that.

I admit that I have several times started diets, exercise plans, college courses, books etc etc with great research and enthusiasm, but for some reason, I always seem to get half way through, become bored and quit.

I think knowing that every time I run, im getting closer to the week 9 is pushing me to keep going out there.

I have always heard people say things like "keep your eye on the prize" but I throught only real wankers (sorry for swearing) say things like that, but I think they may have a point LOL

Im going to now try and put this into practice with a college course im currently studying and with projects at work. It will be interesting to see if I can make this positive change to other aspects in my life. :-)