My Running Blog

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Beckly

My Running Blog

Post by Beckly »

Hi, I'm Becky, I'm 19 and I'm from east Yorkshire in England.

I'm 5'4" and 11.2 stone (so a bit overweight).

For years I've been saying I want to get fit (I have absolutely no stamina!) and have finally got around to making a proper plan. I bought some "Zagora hot pants" which are supposed to aid the elimination of cellulite and have now committed myself to this app.

Having run w1,d1 months before and giving up at the halfway mark I wasn't too optimistic.

HOWEVER...

Today I ran w1,d1 and (other than my asthma playing up mega style) feel like it went really well. I ran at 13.45 mins/mile (hopefully that will improve!), for 1.8 miles and burned 214 calories (as according to run keeper).

My aim is to progress through this app, logging my progress here whilst receiving and giving plenty of encouragement. Let's do this together, encourage each other and share our stories. I know a lot of people say this, but I'm really unfit, so if I can commit to it and try hard - so can you!
BMI: 26.8

16lbs to lose until target weight.
Beckly

Re: My Running Blog

Post by Beckly »

Not aching as much as I thought I would be today. A little aching in my thighs which has eased after some stretches and a shower. The main aching is my stomach, which seems weird but I aren't complaining if my abs are getting a workout too!

I think it was the stretches after running that has stopped me seizing up.

Trying to decide between doing w1r2 tonight or Friday (as I won't have time Thursday as recommended due to working 6.30-10.30am, uni 11.15-5, work 7-2am :/) anyone know what is better - doing the run the day after the first or waiting an extra day?

caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Hi Beckly
Well done for starting the programme :D . I was 3 stone overweight when I started back in April and very unfit. I didn't concern my self at all with the time/distance correlation because I just wanted to be able to finish without dying of a heart attack/lung collapse/legs falling off, you get the picture :roll: I was interested in the calories though! I finished it in June then hurt my back and had 3/4 months off from running so have just started the programme again. My fitness levels are completely different to when I started from scratch back in April. I am able to skip days and go onto the next week. So, as for your question on a day later or a day earlier? I think it totally depends on how fit you are and whether you are aching from the day before. If you are aching, I would leave it to a day later. If you do it a day earlier and have to give up during the run because its too difficult then you will know what to do the next time. No one but you is keeping tabs, you don't have to do it in a mega fast pace - its not a race, and you don't have to stick with the days if it doesn't fit into your lifestyle. I am sure many people have the same dilemma. Oops, sorry I have rambled on a bit :oops: Good luck with it, keep us posted and happy running!
Catherine
http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
Beckly

Post by Beckly »

Thanks Catherine! As I have a long day on thursday (and may ache after 2 days in a row!) I think I'll wait the extra day. After all, even if I'm mot aching I suppose I should give my body a rest :)

I think it must be really hard for you though, knowing you were there before and having to start again back a bit! I'm really impressed you're keeping it up despite issues!

I aren't too fussed about the speed and stuff either, but after reading many "beginning running tips" I was quite impressed I'd gone so fast and so far on my first go! I'm not going to obsess over it but it would be nice to gradually see both those numbers get better as I progress through the programme.

Thanks again, Catherine, for your tips and advice.

Beckly

Post by Beckly »

Finally finished week one!!

Took a week ff between runs 1&2 due to work commitments but have done 2&3 according to schedule and am feeling great!

No aching (does that mean I'm doing the warm up right or not working hard enough? Haha), and can already feel myself improving - I don't feel like I'm about to die halfway though and am actually looking forward to starting week2!

It also feels great to tell people I've started running! And the Zagora hot pants are really helping me sweat some extra fat off!
Lost 3lb this week and want to be at least well on my way to my target weight of 10stone by our staff night out in January.

The fact that I could be over halfway through get running by then is a huge incentive!!

Ok, I'm rambling - its 1.25am here and I've been up since 5 yesterday morning!