Plantar Faciitis

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
jbfishy9

Plantar Faciitis

Post by jbfishy9 »

I have always been very athletic - Avid skier my whole life, competitive swimmer in HS and college, but I have always been jealous of people who can just walk out their door and go for a run. So....I thought this was a great place to start....BUT........

I am fighting really bad Plantar Faciitis - It has been lingering since November and I have been doing NOTHING - I gave up all working out (well, I just got lazy too) Ha! But in all seriousness .....UGH...I am so frustrated so I went to the athletic trainer at the school I teach at and she suggested I get the Straussburg Sock and is working great - but wondering if anyone else has experience fighting this awful foot pain.

What else has worked for you? Any suggestions? I will try anything at this point - it is sore after 5 minutes of anything!

I have newer shoes, great support - were fitted at a local running/triathlon store. I am heading into the start of Week 3 and I really hope my foot will be able to withstand it!

Thanks!!!
benjohn

Re: Plantar Faciitis

Post by benjohn »

That sounds rough, sorry. You're dealing with it and adapting well though, and you're already doing some good running with it, which is excellent.

I'm not sure if it's much use, but I found some advice on the coolrunning web site from Josh Clark – often a good source.

I'd love to hear how it goes!
jbfishy9

Post by jbfishy9 »

Thanks for the information! I have read and read and read about it.....I think there are two things that I need to do.....Lose some weight which I am doing and not over do it. I do have the personality of "it is all or nothing" - so I go full steam ahead, but with the running I am really trying to take it one step at a time - ahahahaha!

I did Week 3 Run 1 yesterday and my feet felt pretty good - I actually couldn't believe that I lasted for 3 min. straight. Still icing and wearing the Straussburg Sock at night seems to be the biggest helpers.

Thanks again for your reply.....I will look for more advice and hopefully be able to keep going!

JBFishy9
jbfishy9

Post by jbfishy9 »

well, after fighting through the pain for three weeks (well - it has been months - but got worse with the running) I am giving in and taking this week off. I was on a role and it felt good to be done with week three - but the foot pain is unbearable. So....rest this week it is.

Still wearing the Strassburg sock when I sleep - icing regularly and taking it easy.

Sigh. Hope this week of rest is worth it!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Would you be able to do your run / walk on a cross trainer instead? I personally love the great outdoors, but if it would help by removing the impacts, perhaps that would be good?
jbfishy9

Post by jbfishy9 »

I have tried in the past to use treadmills etc, and they just really wretch on my shins (I also have compartment syndrome in my shins). Just walking around while teaching at school seems to aggravate the tendon....so I really think the rest is what I need to give into.

Thanks for the ideas, if anyone else have experience with sever plantar faciitis and has ideas or suggestions - send them my way!! :)
jbfishy9

Post by jbfishy9 »

Finally giving in and going to PT.....we will see what they say.

UGH.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Oh, sorry :-( Would love to know what they say though!
jbfishy9

Post by jbfishy9 »

SOOOO.....I finally found out what is going on.....I don't truly have Plantar Faciitis!!! Waahhoooo!

but...what I do have is horrible hip strength on both sides, and "Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome" - meaning my nerve in my right leg is having problems from my lower back as well as down in my foot - they are battling each other.

Here is a nice link about it:

http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankl ... ndrome.htm

So I have two strengthening exercises for my out hips to do as well as a third thing call "nerve flossing" - funny sounding I know.

It was quite an interesting process and I learned a lot (and also reconfirmed things I have been told in the past).

So...gotta do the strengthening and continue to work out - but probably no running for a while. Ho - hum...but eventually I will get back to it! Thank for all your help! I will keep you posted!