Finished week 2, shins aching!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Llihgor

Finished week 2, shins aching!

Post by Llihgor »

Last edited by Llihgor on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starknut

Re: Finished week 2, shins aching!

Post by starknut »

I also suffer from shin splints. It's really a bummer! There are some exercises you can do to help though, and I've been doing them for weeks now and noticed a definite improvement.

edited to add: My son threw a ball at the keyboard before I was done, darn it! Here is the link: http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercise ... tExerc.htm
Llihgor

Post by Llihgor »

Ok, many thanks. I will check-out the link.
cheeta

Post by cheeta »

Hi.
First: congratulations that you finished week 2!

I just started reading this book: ChiRunning.
ChiRunning is a way of running, designed to make running easier: so you have to make less effort, but it's also designed to keep you injury-free.
I only just started the book, so I don't know much about it yet, but it sounds very interesting so far.
You can also find video's about it on youtube.
Maybe it can help you out in the future... :-)
Llihgor

Post by Llihgor »

Thanks Cheeta.

Think I'll need to look at this; into week 4 now and not much improvement; thought it would go away but shins still killing me!

Cheers.
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

I also weigh around the 17 stone mark, I was 18st 3oz when I started this program and am now 17st 7. So I am a stocky chap although I'd say I'm not that fat, more a bit overweight for my frame. I had the same thing and it's absolutely. Rippling to following this program.

I did the first week and had some mild shin pain but it really kicked in on week 2. I was so bad I couldn't run any more. I think that I made it worse, I thought at first it was just muscle soreness like DOMS that you get after weight training so I ploughed on repeating week 2 several times thinking my body would adapt (which it didn't!). In the end I stopped completely until it went. Whilst I wasn't running I went to sweatshop in meadow hall and i got a gait analysis done where the video your feet and got the correct type of footwear. I also made good use of RICE (Rest, Ice, compression, elevation) to control it.

So my advice is that. Take a break from running and stick to the elliptical trainer, rower or cycle which are lower stress exersise until the shin pain is TOTALLY gone to get your fitness levels up ( I find the elliptical is good for this!) then start the programme again with good running shoes and use RICE after each run and making sure to have a rest day between runs. If your shins hurt on a run day do something else, it slows down your progress but a days delay is better than waiting a week to recover!

I also do each week twice as I find that I get pain again when I move up whereas after 2 goes through each week I get much less pain. Inwould also suggest leaning forwards a bit and trying to land ever so slightly on the balls of your feet than the heel, this made a difference for me I found.

It is very annoying and really painful but keep at it and take it slow. I have done this for a while now and I still get some pain especially when I move up. It the important thing is the pain is manageable and controlled now. I am starting week 4 4 on Wednesday and running 5 straight minutes seems such an improvement since a few months ago when I was limping around trying to do the first 1.5 min runs so it was all worth it :)
You can run but you'll just die tired
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

You also need to consider running on grass. Roads and pathways are high impact on our body. Running on grass will make a world of difference. Bit more of a work out too as you are not 'bouncing' off the ground. I suffered shin pains as well and this has helped me.

http://ausgirlscouchto5ks.blogspot.com/
alec

Post by alec »

I am of a similar physique and also sufferred terribly from shin pain. I bought new shoes (Nike Lunar Glide 3's happened to work for me) and really concentrated on changing my running style when the pain hit and it does seem to have made a difference. The pain is still there but is more manageable.

I also have to say that it is less noticeable when I am on a treadmill as I think the surface is more forgiving than on a road.
Wateredwin

Post by Wateredwin »

Have enjoyed your write up and hope it gets better. I am on week four today!!! - have two types of running shoes, which helps me (I alternate) - also have been keeping of raod too. My shins are only just okay this week