Running at 4:30am a bad idea?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Avalve

Running at 4:30am a bad idea?

Post by Avalve »

Hi, i have had this app for about a year now and have never used it, my problem is i dont yet want to run during the day as i am conscious of looking like an idiot. I start work at 6am so my only solution is to run about 4:30am before work! I have had all intentions of starting this a number of times but never once started does anyone else run around this time? Is it a bad idea? Planning to start my first run tomorrow morning, i hope this is the start for the last time!
bloomers

Re: Running at 4:30am a bad idea?

Post by bloomers »

I think its a great time, if you manage to wake up that early!

Think of it this way- you're kickstarting your metabolism - and if its hot this time of year (like where I'm from in aus) then you beat that morning-sun heat!

I wake up at 6 and go for the run- my body absolutely hates me when I'm getting up but I know if I left it until after work then I would just talk myself out of doing it.
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

First - well done i had the app for a few months before i got started. Eventually just went for it one evening and haven't looked back. Now on week 8 and amazed at how steady the progress has been. You won't feel the build up - one day you'll be running for 20 minutes and you'll think - how did that happen.
Where are you planning to run? I would be concerned re personal safety. I run
In my local park and I feel nervous if it's after dark. You probably won't believe me but - nobody will be looking at you. People who see you will think 'good on you!'. Within a very short period of time you will not care who sees you or what they think.
If you live in Oz like bloomers you probably do need to avoid the heat but if you live in Ireland like me - think about your personal safety. It's too dark! It's the middle if the night! Its dangerous! If you are on a treadmill - go for it.
That's my rant over.
Bloomers - spending Christmas in Oz and have been wondering if I'll be able to run
In the heat!? Is am better than pm? Can't wait to get to the great southern land and see the sun!!
Ailbhe
bloomers

Post by bloomers »

Alibhe, to be honest I'm worried about December weather haha it can get stinking hot! Even in evenings it can get super humid.. I think I'll stick with early morning before the sun comes up because it's probably the coolest part of the day. I just hope I stick with it because I really hate sweat and it's enough to turn me off running forever!
Avalve

Post by Avalve »

Unfortunately i live inwales (uk). Cold and rain pretty much guaranteed until the expected snow kicks in. This is more of a reason to talk myself out of running than anything else. Wish i had the sticky heat over the cold any day! As for safety i think i would be ok, i would only run near residential areas anyway plus if i was threatened i might run faster lol, but seriously i am not too concerned about that.
twysta

Post by twysta »

Running at 04:30 isn't a bad idea at all. In fact, it's better to run in the morning. If you run in the early hours, you beat all the people driving their cars to / from work thus skipping a lot of the pollution in the air :)
tlt123

Post by tlt123 »

The earlier the better. Your body will be a fuel burning machine for the rest of the day. You can do it!
20yearslater

Post by 20yearslater »

Just finished week 2 and have done roughly 50:50 morning and night time runs. Apart from the issue of heat and safety that have been noted, I have to say, I've found the morning runs much more easy and satisfying. I think it has a lot to do with having an empty stomach. I usually just have a small glass of oj before heading out. Even waiting 2 hours after eating dinner evenings, I still feel a lot more sluggish...
shabbyroad

Post by shabbyroad »

I've done almost all of my runs at 6:30am and am doing Wk7 R2 tomorrow morning.

Some pointers: if it's dark in your hemisphere make sure you wear something reflective and if possible a light.
Drivers will be sleepy at that hour and will not see you.

If it's cold and, like me, you developed asthma as an adult then watch out for that cold air making you wheeze and don't forget your inhaler.

I've braved some daytime runs and frankly don't care anymore who sees me - they're not exercising: I am so sod them ! :lol: A nice warm hat for my baldy head and anonymous old black tracksuit... I could be anyone huffing and puffing.

Week 7 Day 2 here I come. I really never thought I'd see the day.
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

As with bloomers (hehe I remember bloomers from primary school netball days), I too live in Australia. I get up and do my run from around 5am and I love starting at this time. It makes you feel so happy for the rest of the day knowing you completed a session. I think you should start your runs on a Saturday morning, so u have a little more time to recover in your first few runs.

One thing I ensured I did before every session before work is prepare everything the night before. Work lunches, my clothes, bag, everything(!) so I had no excuse to not get up and go.

It's funny, I too was self conscious about what I looked like while doing the program, but this quickly disappeared by week 1, run 2. You become so focused on achieving the program that the random person going by is the least of your worries.

P.S A summer Christmas is great, turkey, ham AND seafood hehe.

http://ausgirlscouchto5ks.blogspot.com/