side stitches, help!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
starknut

side stitches, help!

Post by starknut »

I took my husband running with me today, and he tends to keep a faster pace than me: I am forever having to ask him to slow down. Well, I was doing really well, and we were able to have a conversation basically throughout the run (w4r2), but during the final 5 minute run, I started getting a cramp in my side. So I slowed my pace and put my arms up to stretch my sides, but it just got worse and worse to the point I could barely breathe. To my credit, I finished the run and only nearly fainted, haha.

Anyone else get side stitches like that? How can I help prevent them in the future?
caffrin

Re: side stitches, help!

Post by caffrin »

I would say don't talk while running because it messes up your breathing. I always do my runs one way then quick march walk back home for the extra calorie burn. Sometimes I throw in a little jog on the way back too and that always gives me a stitch. My hubby says its because of the spits and spurts of walk/jog that I do? Not sure about that one because the programme is walk/jog :roll: Anyway, there's probably a number of reasons.
Catherine
http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
Carlos_wsop

Post by Carlos_wsop »

Stitch is caused by your diaphragm going into spasm , I usually get this if I've eaten to much to soon before a run it's best to leave food at least 1 -2 hours before your run , also can be caused by irratic breathing if your going to fast for your body or talking during a run , it's very important to keep a control of your breathing while running , slow steady breathes in and out through your mouth it takes some getting used to but it works , hope this helps !!!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Well, I generally run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, so I guess talking is the issue. I went out with him again today and kept my responses to one word and only really talked during the walks, and had no difficulty at all this time. Thanks for all your help!