Have you ever craved a run when you've never really done it?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
seejulesrun

Have you ever craved a run when you've never really done it?

Post by seejulesrun »

I have been a large girl my entire life. As a child, I was overweight. As a teen, I was constantly picked on for being the biggest girl in the class. And in college, I hear the fraternity boys laughing at me. And despite all of it, I've always been relatively happy and able to ignore most of the taunts. I played soccer, tennis, and softball to try to lose weight, but I was too slow for it to matter.

Over the past year or so (I'm 23 now), I have had... almost a craving to run? I think about lacing up my sneakers and running down the asphalt road, free and happy. But I just can't. So yesterday, I started reading about C25K and I made a new Twitter account (seejulesrun) with a new promise that I was starting C25K on Monday no matter what - because my cravings for running are getting much stronger than my cravings for chocolate or wine.

Sorry for the strange intro. I just needed to vent a little, and I need to know that there are other people who feel and have felt the same way I do right now. I am scared to death, but I need to run. I'm scared of trying and failing, but I am even more scared of not trying and not living long enough to ever really do it. I want to be healthy.

<3 Jules
Madline

Re: Have you ever craved a run when you've never really done

Post by Madline »

This is wonderful. Go for it and enjoy! Just listen to your body and follow your desire. You can do it!!!
starknut

Post by starknut »

I know just what you mean. I've always had these dreams where I'm running, simply going and going, no trouble with getting winded, no tired legs, just a wonderful feeling of liberation.

During this last week's runs, I got that same feeling, and it was amazing.
Wateredwin

Post by Wateredwin »

An interesting account; of what a lot of us , i suspect, desire; the open road and a freedom to move freely without boundaries.
Here is the thing; size, weight might be a a perceived restriction and you might need an element of self motivation to get going on the first few runs, however when you do run  it will be your journey.  Good luck with you craving !!! I think you have the strength ....
Wateredwin

Post by Wateredwin »

An interesting account; of what a lot of us , i suspect, desire; the open road and a freedom to move freely without boundaries.
Here is the thing; size, weight might be a a perceived restriction and you might need an element of self motivation to get going on the first few runs, however when you do run  it will be your journey.  Good luck with you craving !!! I think you have the strength ....
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

Jules - I had those running desires for my entire life, but every time I tried to run, I burnt out on my first run ... until I started Get Running 11 weeks ago. You've chosen the right way to do it. I'm overweight, middle aged and a smoker. 2 weeks ago, I ran 5k for the first time.
When I started, I could barely do the 1 minute runs, and each time there was an increase I thought, "No way", but I did it, and you can to!
Make sure you have good shoes, follow the program, redo a run if you need to, and use this forum for support.
Good running!
Shari
louisecanrunnow!

Post by louisecanrunnow! »

I can completely understand where you are coming from! I have had these feelings over the years but always found a reason why others can and I cant run!! Until I found this app! I completed the programme two weeks ago and it is honestly one of the best things I have ever done for myself! I have lost 3 and a half stone combined with dieting since june!

So! Get some good running shoes! Stick with the app! You will have good runs and bad runs but keep going!! It works I promise!!!! Good luck!!!

Louise
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

Jules, just take the app one day or run at a time. Don't be afraid to go back a week and re-do days, as the saying goes 'its not a race' and before long you will be thinking how the hell did i run for 5, 10, 20 and then 30 mins withour stopping. It is a fantastic feeling when you pass each milestone. Good luck and i'm going to follow you on twitter, jimmyash17 is my twitter name.