First run .. puff ... puff ...

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Rhiannon

First run .. puff ... puff ...

Post by Rhiannon »

Hey all, not sure if I should post here or in Introductions. I'm 42 and due to having a 3 year old plus full-time working means I have pretty much zero time for exercise these days. I used to train semi-regularly at the gym at my work before I had my daughter, but while I've never been hugely unfit I've never been what you'd call particularly fit either. However, a year of being with my lovely new partner - with totally different eating habits to mine (my eating habits generally consist of .. hmm ... not eating a great deal, really, since food takes up valuable time that I'd rather be spending doing something else! :) ), coupled with the afore-mentioned lack of time for exercise, means I find I've now put on 10lbs excess weight that I really shouldn't be carrying.

So my partner, who is a keen fitness fanatic (he has the time, you see!), suggested I "pop out" for a "quick half-hour run" 3 times a week or so. Hmmm. Keen to Do It Properly I found the excellent Get Running app and thanks to working from home twice a week, I finally got around to "borrowing" half an hour working time yesterday and braved the Big Outside World for a go at the first run.

Nearly killed me!

My legs were pretty much ok, but my poor lungs struggled mightily, and although I managed both the runs and the brisk walks inbetween, I was puffing and panting like a steam train for most of the minute-and-a-half walking periods. I was back to normal after the 5 minute cooldown, and I'm not aching more than a couple of small twinges in my legs today, but I am facing my next session tomorrow with huge trepidation ... I didn't expect my lungs to protest THIS much!

And to top it all, my smug partner runs 3 or 4 times a week and always comes back bouncing with adrenalin, and expected me to report the same, whereas I didn't feel anything other than knackered afterwards ... no endorphin rush, no feeling great and raring to go, nothing other than a desire to collapse in an untidy heap!

Tell me it gets better ... :D
benjohn

Re: First run .. puff ... puff ...

Post by benjohn »

It gets better :-)

But really – it does get better, honestly. It actually starts to be really enjoyable!

If it helps, feel very free to slow your running down – you can build up your pace later on when you've got endurance. If you want to, also go ahead and do extra repeats of the first week if you don't think you're ready for week two at the end.

Well done on taking the first step, that's the really hard bit done!
Nicjayrob

Post by Nicjayrob »

I to am also a new runner, & honestly, it does get better! I have just done week 3, run 2, & i was the same as u! Now, i really look forward to my runs, & am starting to feel great after them! Not necessarily bouncing etc like your partner, but more so with a sense of achievement!
Stick with t girl, and i'm sure youll be feeling it to soon!

Ps: i recently read somewhere "runnings not easy, or everyone would be doing it". You should be proud of yourself!
Good luck with your next run & let us know how u get on
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Well done for getting out there ;O) stick with it I’ve almost completed week 3 and feel fantastic and trust me I wasn’t a runner
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

Thanks a lot guys for your words of encouragement, it really does help to know others have felt the same as me and that it does get better ... that should hopefully be enough to keep me going out there! I'm reasonably determined to at least complete the 9 weeks and see how I feel then ... I'm hoping that like you I'll be feeling great (or at least ok :) ) when I run by then, so will then have the motivation to keep on going!

Thanks again :D
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

Congratulations, on getting out there. I'm going to be doing W4R1 tomorrow the steps from week to week get progressively harder, but none so far have been too taxing, they just seem to be well thought out to stretch you without breaking you. Even now I still get lung ache, but I'm sticking with it, and things are improving every time I get out and run.

Something I found to be good, is find a local running club that offers beginners sessions. Its been a world of difference finding like minded runners as unfit as I am. It helps you feel less alone in your quest to get fit, and you get to chat with others about how you are all progressing.
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

Thanks for the words of encouragement Toilet Duck! Unfortunately due to severe time restrictions I can't take up your excellent idea of joining a running club, but I'm hoping reading the success stories of others on here will help give me the kick up the derriere I need to keep going ;)

Well I managed Week 1 without completely dying in a horrible heap, so I find out tomorrow whether I can handle 90 seconds of running or whether I have to stick to 60 seconds for now. I'm hoping I can push myself that extra 30 seconds without my lungs completely refusing to talk to me ever again, but it remains to be seen ... :mrgreen:

Good luck with W4!