Week 1 day 1...couldn't finish

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Todd H

Re: Week 1 day 1...couldn't finish

Post by Todd H »

OK, let's try this again.

I'm back giving it another try. The last time (back in 2011) I managed to get through about three weeks before I had to quit because I didn't have time to run with my wife's work schedule. After getting up to 230 pounds, I decided it was time again.

About a month ago, after seeing pictures of myself and how much weight I had put on, I decided it was time to do something about it. Since my wife works nights I figured getting up about 5:30 AM would afford me time to run. So I started running, running Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and walking Tuesday and Thursday. After about a month I wasn't doing too bad but I wasn't making a lot of progress time and distance wise.

Then I remembered this app and decided to try it for a week. I did week 1 day 1 yesterday morning. I ran all the runs no problem but it was definitely more tiring than the schedule I had been doing. So instead of doing this on my own I'm going to do the Get Running program. Tomorrow is the second day of week 1 and I'm looking forward to it.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Week 1 run 2 in the books. No problem so far. It looks like the few weeks I spent walking and light running before starting this program helped.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Finished run 3 of week 1 this morning. So far so good.

BTW, looks like this place is dead.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Finished the first two weeks with the only issue being some lower leg pain due to me needing a new pair of running shoes. Bought some yesterday so I'm ready for week 3 run 1 tomorrow morning.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

That last 3 minute run was a little tougher than I thought it would be but I did it.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

OK first setback. I couldn't finish the final five minute run of week 4 day 1. Had to quit with two minutes left. Should I just continue week four or repeat today?
matt

Post by matt »

Hi!

I'd be tempted to press on, but maybe slow down a little for the next run, if you can? Really pacing yourself at the start can leave you with more energy for those last five minutes... It's all very personal, though! Trust your instincts and see what happens...

Cheers,

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

I may see how the rest of the week goes. I did slow down a good bit but still couldn't finish those last two minutes. I'm thinking of repeating this week even if I do manage to finish that last run just to build up a little more endurance. I know that 20 minute run is getting close and I want to be ready for it.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Did all four runs this morning. Got into a rhythm during the last run. My speed wasn't the greatest but I kept on until I was done. :D
matt

Post by matt »

That's the way to do it! :)
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)