Week 1 day 1...couldn't finish

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Todd H

Week 1 day 1...couldn't finish

Post by Todd H »

Started week 1 day 1 yesterday and managed to make it about half way through but couldn't finish the runs. I ended up walking the rest of the way. Today I am sore. I'm going to give day 1 a try again tomorrow and hopefully I can actually finish.

Can't believe I've let myself get so out of shape. Ten years ago I was easily running ten miles and loved running. To be young again... :D
expat68

Re: Week 1 day 1...couldn't finish

Post by expat68 »

I couldn't believe how wiped I felt after that first run! Everyone assured me it gets easier and frankly I didn't believe them, but they're right. I'm only on week 4 but if I were to repeat week 1 now, I'd find it really easy. Good luck! :D
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

Week one is a killer! Your body is in shock from not doing anything. It is amazing how much easier it gets. You body quickly adapts. This is coming from someone who had not properly exercised in years.

Ensure you stretch before and after. Don't go fast. Instead of giving up on the runs, just go at a slower pace. Your body is putting up a wall. Just like if you gave up bread, your body will crave it for 3 days, then on the fourth you would of forgotten about it. In week 1 runs, your body will put up a fight, but you just have to fight back.

It is all very psychological. But when you complete a day, even it is slow, you will feel so good. It is not about how fast you go, it is that you complete it. You have to break through those psychological walls.

http://ausgirlscouchto5ks.blogspot.com/
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

I only managed 7 out of those first 8 runs myself and I'm now facing up the 20 min solid run in w5r3 with relative confidence so keep at it, it really will get easier fast :)
You can run but you'll just die tired
jenseeya

Post by jenseeya »

So long as you don't give up. Just try again. I reckon most of the 'battle' is mind over matter. You can do it.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Well, spent the first two weeks walking and just getting used to exercising again. Officially started week one today and finished Day 1 with no problem. Looking forward to Wednesday now. :)
Nud

Post by Nud »

That's wonderful. You must feel so proud of yourself.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) Really glad to hear you stuck with it! Well done not loosing heart, and quite right too!
Minirunner

Post by Minirunner »

Definitely worth keeping at it. I have always believed that I'm not "built for running" but saw Charlie Brooker's column and figured that it worth a try. I could only manage 30secs running at a time on week one run one but due for my first 20 min run tomorrow.
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

Well done Todd! I am so excited for you! :D

Your body will quickly adapt and tone and you will slowly build up into longer runs. Just remember, we were all in the same boat at some stage, fighting the same psychological demons and endurance barriers. You just need to push through and know that you will be able to complete the jogs (runs).

http://ausgirlscouchto5ks.blogspot.com/