Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
jenseeya

Re: Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Post by jenseeya »

I did my 20 minute run yesterday morning and was worried about doing it. But I'm pleased to say I did it without stopping. It was a great psychological barrier to break. I'm assuming the next few weeks I'll step up the pace because I didn't even crak the 3km mark, let alone 5km that this app is supposed to take me to!
Madline

Post by Madline »

Well done everyone for getting this far!
I hope I haven't fallen too far behind you lot. I've been away for a few days but managed to fit in w5r2 whilst away. And how splendid it was to be running (yes running) in a new landscape. I love walking but would not normally get up so early to walk. I really appreciated how I could cover so much more ground in half an hour and therefore get to see more of the beautiful Gloucestershire countryside. Still I couldn't face run 3. I think it was sleeting! Now I'm back, I repeated run 2 again yesterday and amazing with a 5 day break it was still ok. I thought I would have been set back by at least a week. So, it's the biggy 20 mins for me tomorrow!!!
And I look forward to reading your combined further running experiences!
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

So it was W4R3 today which is 3 min, 5 min x 2 and I'm pleased to say it went very well. I would even go so far as to say it was easy although the last 5 min was difficult. It manageable. Ran 3.7 km in total and 240 calories which is very good for my slow speeds!

My shins are aching a bit now though. It I'm going to press on and do W5R1 this Friday which is 5 min x 3 as it is actually 1 minute less than W4R3 then I'll have a 3 day rest until I do W5R2 which is still only 16 mins of running but in 2 8 min chunks.

Anyway I had a strange exciting feeling today while running. Normally i feel like i am forcing my body to do something unnatural against its will but today it was as if my body went into some kind of rhythm. I felt for just a few minutes as if I could run forever and there was no shin pain and I wasn't out of breath and it felt amazing. But it passed and I thought I'd die haha. I hope that happens on the 20 min run haha

Next run Friday after work :)
You can run but you'll just die tired
Born to Plod

Post by Born to Plod »

Keep it up folks - you're doing great. Trust me, it gets easier and more fun before you know it :tup:

J
Been running for nearly a year but still feel like a complete beginner. Which is good, because I run like one too. Anyway, I like to blog about my escapades. Feel free to point your interweb at www.borntoplod.wordpress.com
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

W5R1 today which is 5m x 3.

Not a lot to say really other than I found it incredibly easy hehe. I felt like could easily have kept going at the end of the last 5 minutes and I didn't even really get that much pain in my shins. If things keep up like this the 2x8min runs I'll be doing on Monday will be easy.

Also more benefits for me, went to buy some new jeans today and I had to drop a size so I weighed myself and I have gone from 18st3oz to 17st3oz so lost a stone in weight following this haha :)
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Sorry for foreign people......

18st3oz =116.2Kg/256lb

17st3oz = 109.8Kg/242lb

So still a chunky blob but less of a chunky blob than i was. Although in fairness I'm quite tall.
Hannahlufc

Post by Hannahlufc »

I DID IT!!!

Today did my 20 mins I was dreading it absolutely dreading it. The thought of going from 8 mins to 20 mins terrified me but I actually found it pretty easy. Although tonight is the first time in weeks that I'm laid in bed with aching legs but I'm glad they are aching I was worried why I wasn't suffering at all lol.

Can't wait till my next run now I feel like I've had a major breakthrough running this 20 mins, especially after the lady told me I was a runner hehe
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Aha you know the secrets of the special message after the 20 min run!! Congratulations!! That's is a real milestone :))))

For me today it was W5R2 which is 8min x 2. It went very very well indeed :)

I put on a film on my iPhone and just watched that and ran (I'm treadmill remember) and the first 8 mins was done in no time, I was surprised how quick it felt. The 5 min walk before the second run was very boring and I was keen to do the second 8 minutes which went just as well. It's amazing really that 3 minutes seemed like an impossible amount of time to me only 2 weeks ago yet today I ran over twice that and could have kept going. My shins are great too, no ice packs or compression bandages or deep heat cream for me tonight hehe. Also at weekend my sister in law asked me if I had lost weight!!! I was well chuffed :)

Works Christmas doo tomoz night but I have my big day on Wednesday and I don't think I could run 20 mins with a hangover. God how i have changed lol!

Ok so all have a thought for me on Wednesday at 13:00 GMT as I'll be at the midpoint of my 20 min run. I'll update straight after, nervous just thinking about it but I feel very confident that I'll make it so see you all when I'm a real runner :)
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

I drank far too much on my works Christmas doo haha

Felt quite rough this morning and was feeling very weak at lunch time and ever so slightly nauseous hahahah

This was unfortunate because today was W5R3 which is of course the big one, a continuous 20 minute run and a huge step up.

I was however adamant that I would give it a go so I put the season finale episode of Dexter on my iPhone which I love and I thought it would make the time pass easier during the running as I am on the treadmill.

I am extremely proud to say that I did it, the whole 20 minutes, with a hangover hahah. I will also say that I found it remarkably easy and I even ran an extra 2 minutes then did another 15 minutes ofthe stationary bike just to show off :)

In week one when I only managed 7 out of the 8 60 second runs can't was looking ahead and running 20 straight minutes seemed a physical impossibility yet today after following this programme I not only completed this run but did so with relative ease!!

Claire the trainer gave me my special message and I have been glowing like a monkey with pride ever since. This has really made my Christmas!!

I can now call myself a runner :)))))))))
Madline

Post by Madline »

I ran with a hangover yesterday which was a first! But I am determined not to get behind. Not sure about the run I have scheduled for Christmas day though ....