Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jysmystry

Re: Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Post by Jysmystry »

I read somethere yesterday that some days your just not into it and you feel like your dragging yourself into exercise and the best thing to do is turn around, go home to bed and do it the next day.
You can run but you'll just die tired
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

W7R3 today so thats all the 25 min runs done and now onto the 28 minute runs.

Todays run went very well indeed, i was something of a demon! You know how some runs just go perfectly and seem easy? His was one of those.

I was skeptical at first because i was away from home thurs and fri this week so couldnt do my friday run so i decided to follow aussiegirls idea of having a no presh sesh run on the saturday. This went badly and in the 25 min run i aimed for i stopped for a bit half way through and then gave up a minute from the end (which is ok because its a no pressure session and doesnt count).

I thought would be similar, especially as i already felt drained from my 9 month old waking me at midnight then 3 am then giving up and getting up at 05:30. Inalso had problems with the get running app in that whenever i minimised it to watch a film it stopped running in the background. In the end i gave up on watching a film and set my music going and had to have get running on top. I actually quite likedthis, inthink i prefer listening to music now over watching films haha

Anyway, todays run went so well that 2 minutes bbefore the end i set the treadmill To a fast run and i still felt incould have kept going.

I never cease to be amazed by this app! 8 weeks ago i couldnt run slowly for 2 minutes but today i finished off a 25 minute run with a 2 minute fast run haha.

25 mins is easy to me know, bring on them 28 min runs of W8 i say :)
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

That's great! I've really enjoyed watching everyone here progress, but I didn't think I would actually be able to join in this conversation. Now, I guess it's time for me to jump in! This morning I ran w5r1 (I can't believe I've made it this far!), and it all went smoothly! I'm really excited, yet completely dreading the 20-minute run on Friday. I think that I'm gonna have to treat myself to something wonderful (like Jysmystry) when I complete it!
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

You will find the 20 min run fine, trust me, everyone worries about it but i have yet to see anyone fail it. Just go slow and look forward to your special message from claire the trainer :)
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Today was W8R1 1 x 28 mins) - i would like to say it went well but that would be a lie because it didnt go well, it went amazing haha

At the end of the 28 mins i was still feeling ok so i thought i might as well round it off to the full 30 minutes and i might as well run it a little bit faster too so i did and i ran 5.17km.

So i have now run a full 30 minutes non stop and run 5km which are both the success criteria of the programme and there are still 5 runs left to go before the end - yey me :)

In other news i was stroking my leg last night during big brother and my wife goes "jesus christ look at your leg!" and i was like "what!?!" thinking there was some hideous insect bite or something and she goes "they are like properly muscly". And when i thought about she was right, my legs, especially my lower leg is properly ripped when i tense it haha. I was rather impressed by that as before this my legs didnt really have an muscle definition at all. She did however immediatly ruin it by saying "you better not too muscle now! I prefer it when you are all cuddly" - humph!!!

Bring on the next run get running app as i have already dominated you :)
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Nice runnin'! I can't wait until I get up there with you and the other "Big Dogs," Jysmystry.

Today's runs were fantastic!! I was really nervous about today's 2 8-minute runs, but they were a blast! I think the thing I like most about running first thing in the morning is that my mind is still asleep, so I don't focus on anything in particular! I love it!

I'm gonna be nervous about it tomorrow, but I'm thinkin' that Friday's 20-minute run is gonna be a piece of cake!
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

You will be fine, just take it nice and slow. Let us know how it goes wont you!
alec

Post by alec »

I completed W8R2 this morning. The second 28 minute run. Both this and W8R1 are actually fine. For me there is a point around 8 minutes where my legs are really starting to ache and then I realise I still have 20 minutes to go! Its awful. But if I push through that the half way point comes around quickly enough and then its just a countdown to the end.

I am still freaked out that I can actually do this but dissaponitingly I'm not losing the weight as I had hoped. I feel a LOT fitter and my metabalism is working overtime but the weight just isnt coming off.

Regardless, my only regret about this whole programme is that I did not start it earlier! All those wasted years convinced I would never be able to run more than a few yards....
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

The key to weight loss is to proberly understand the calories in/out setup.

The general rule is that you need to create a deficit between the two and it takes around a 3500 defecit to lose 1lb. So to lose 1lb a week you need a daily deficit of around 500 calories per day be that all from dieting, all from exercising or a mix of both.

To properly create a defecit you need to get an estimate of BMR (how many calories your body uses just to exist - very generally 1500 for woman and 2000 for men) for which there are many online calculators. Id say start from there, aim for a 500 cal deficit and see if you lose weight.

If not it could be the BMR estimate was too far out in which case reduce it a bit and see that works out and just ajust the numbers until you are losing the 1lb a week.

Also keep your eye out for little things like overeating cos you missed meals, overeating due to snacking etc and eating too much hugh sugar high fat foods.

Losing weight is actually very simple once you figure it out.

But if you cant be doing with calorie counting and all that just eat healthy and donsome exercise and you cant go wrong in the long term :)
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Okay, tomorrow's the big run! I'm excited and nervous at the same time! I know that the 8-minute runs weren't that bad yesterday, but 20 just seems a lot bigger than 8! Haha I really hope I can start before I realize I'm awake. :D