Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Soris23

Re: Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Post by Soris23 »

Tomorrow's my big day too! 20 TWENTY minutes of nonstop jogging!!!

After reading all these posts, I'm optimistic & looking forward to writing on here to say 'I did it'. I hope I make it, haven't quit on any of my runs so far, I've come close, but the 2x 8min runs were surprisingly a breeze, so fingers crossed. Plus I remember thinking I was going to colapse before I got through my very 1st jog & now I'm finding 8minsa breeze! Who'd of thought.
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Sorry I didn't post yesterday (had a huge visit with family), so I guess I'll say it here and now:

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe how easy it was! I even felt good after it! This is the first time in the program that I have felt that running for 30 minutes straight might finally be attainable! It was really wonderful to hear Coach Claire's little message at the end of the run. ;D

To those who think that they are not ready for the 20-minute run: YOU ARE. Don't worry about it at all! Everybody worries about it, but everybody finishes it with relative ease! Good luck to all who come after me; I send you all my best wishes!
Soris23

Post by Soris23 »

I DID IT too.

Everyone was right, not as big a deal as I thought.
I'm really chuffed.
It wasnt a breeze, but easier than week 3.

Keep going and don't stop, just slow down. If I can do it anyone can.
Trunner

Post by Trunner »

Well done you guys and thanks for posting! Particularly motivated by u joelgwood as been following your journey so far. Fantastic. Can't wait to join you all. Feeling too ill to run my w4 r1 today so a bit miserable, but it's just a matter of time, right?
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Well done to everyone!!

Week 8 run 2 for me today. Went very well again, i did the full 28 minutes than ran at a faster speed for 2 minutes of the cooldown walk just for fun. I decided that as inhad already run the full 30 minutes last week id increase my speed for the end of the runs to improve.

Only 4 more runs for me now until the programme ends. I shall miss updating this post but i hope you guys have found it interesting and useful :)
You can run but you'll just die tired
alec

Post by alec »

I had to do to Dubai for some all day meetings so only got out to do W8R3 this morning. I managed it but it was a real struggle for those last 3 mins. Also, I dont know what it is but for some reason these extra three minutes have had a HUGE impact on my recovery. Even on the 25 min runs I would feel a wee bit of stiffness in my calves but nothing that wouldn't dissapear quickly. But at 28 mins it is a killer! I am still hobbling around two days later and I need a good blast of Deep Heat before I can even stop the limping never mind run again. I guess it could just be the cumulative effect of the programme.

So, just 3 X 30 mins runs to go. Who would have thought it possible. Certainly not me. I am really excited to have got this far and don't feel too concerned about the next runs (it's just another 2 mins right!) but I am really worried about what to do next! For my own sake I need to keep up this momentum or I know I will slip back into my old habits.

Thankfully (?!?) even when I run 30 mins I am not even close to doing the full 5K (I'm about 4.3K just now) so I reckon that will keep me going for at least another 3 weeks. I'm going to stick to the current running schedule and just keep upping the pace until I hit the magical 5K mark and as I said I reckon that will be at least 3 weeks.

After I wrote that I just thought I would take a look and see what others do and the link below seems to indicated that a 30 minute 5K is actually pretty darn good so maybe I will need a little longer! :-)

http://www.peertrainer.com/LoungeCommun ... dID=105540
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Not updated for a few days - reason being that inwas on the first of my week 9 runs and half way through i dunno what i did but in got back pain and had to stop. Im therefore having a few days off for recovery.

On a brighter note just got 3 inches of snow it 2 hours woohoo :)
You can run but you'll just die tired
RooferB

Post by RooferB »

Hello everyone! This is my first post but I was motivated to stop lurking after completing Week 5 Run 3 this evening. I am soooo pleased with myself as I was utterly dreading it and thought there was no way I would be able to do it!

In fact, it was really enjoyable and I only struggled a wee bit when I went off my normal route and found a giant (in reality quite small) hill to run up.

So for those of you who have W5R3 coming up it's not half as bad as you think, and feels freaking AMAZING when you finish.

YAY! I DID IT! And well done to everyone else who completed it too. *virtual high fives all the way* Who would've thought 5 weeks ago I was sweating, puffing and panting to run for 1 minute and then tonight, 20 whole minutes, HUZZAH!

Ruth
alec

Post by alec »

Hey jsymystery. Hope you back gets better soon.

I was due to run W9R2 today but it just didnt happen. I really struggled throughout and then had to stop with about 8 minutes remaining. I guess sometimes your body just says no!

Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow!
alec

Post by alec »

I tried W9R2 again today. I thought half way through I was going to have to quit again but instead I just took down the pace a bit and in the end I finished with some gas still left in the tank. Just one more run to go now! :D