Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jysmystry

Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Post by Jysmystry »

Ok so I have seen this coming, can't hide from it now, it's next week!!

So because I have taken comfort from reading so many other people's experiences of this beast I'm going to log my own in the hope it helps others :)

I have followed this programme purely in my local gym on treadmills. This is because I have been getting bad shin pain and I find treadmills easier on my legs. I find treadmills speeds are always different so to give you an idea the initial 5 min "brisk walk" is at speed 5.8-6.3 for me and I have been running at speed 10.

Today I moved up into week 4 and ran the first of the 3 3min run, 5 min run x 2. Shins killing me so got the ice pack on wrapped up in tight bandages. Plan is to do the second run on Saturday and the last week 4 run on Monday. That means week 5 starts on Wednesday (14th) with the 20 min beast the following Monday.

I'm just going to document how things go for me from now until I hit w5r3.

Today's run went well, the 3 min runs are easy for me now (although they didn't use to be haha!) but the last 5 min run was a struggle, I had to knock the treadmills speed down from my usual 10 to 8.5 which was a really slow jog. I am more than confident that Saturday's run will go better though and I'm quite looking forward to w5r1 which is 3 x 5 mins. At this moment I'm actually getting palpitations just thinking about running 20 mins considering how I feel after 5 mins haha.

More this sat assuming my damn shins stop aching so much!
You can run but you'll just die tired
starknut

Re: Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Post by starknut »

Honestly, it's all psychological. Like you, after the first five or six minutes, it becomes a struggle: my legs feel like they're going to drop off from fatigue. They never do, though, hahaha! I just keep going and don't think about it. There reaches a point where I no longer even notice my discomfort, it's just me and my breathing and the path in front of me.

Think positive an you'll do just fine!
mido77777

Post by mido77777 »

Guys,
I just finished the Week5 run 2, and I cannot imagine that I will run on Saturday for 20 minutes.
I feel that the jump from continuous 8 minutes to 20 minutes is really hard! :shock:
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Hehe so exciting!! Just take it slow and remember that you are not alone, me and 1 other are also about to hit this run so your leading the way.

Make sure you let us know how it goes and the best of luck!!
starknut

Post by starknut »

mido77777 wrote:Guys,
I just finished the Week5 run 2, and I cannot imagine that I will run on Saturday for 20 minutes.
I feel that the jump from continuous 8 minutes to 20 minutes is really hard! :shock:
The thing to keep in mind is that you have already done two 8 minute runs. The twenty minute run is just two of those together, with a few extra minutes tacked on. You CAN do it!
mido77777

Post by mido77777 »

I Did it and it was a piece of cack
I just ran with slow speed and it was really easy.
Now i am ready to do week 6.
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

I was naughty at the weekend. I swapped my run for an all you can eat Chinese buffet in town haha. I blame my wife!

In fairness my shins were still quite sore. My gym was closed for a few days to install new equipment so I thought I'd give my shins a few extra days rest sonthey are ready to rock this week. However I did do something very useful in that I went into a local sports shop what a colleague said knew its stuff running wise and spoke to them about my shins. They were asking about my running trainers and they had some fancy device I stood on and it took photos of the bottom of my foot. Long story short they said that extra support in my shoes (which I already have) will correct a general over-pronation but that there will still be a rolling of the foot that can cause shin splints so you can also get special insoles that support the foot arch to correct the roll so ingot some of them. They heat them up, you stand on them on a big sponge and they mould to your foot and set. Thy are very comfy :)

Anyway ran W5R2 today with my new insoles and it went good. First half was an absolute breeze but the last 5 min run I was counting the last minute down something rotten! Still it wasn't that tough so inwas very happy with it.

Not yet feeling like a 20 min will be easy like Mido77777 but there is still 3 more runs before I hit that.

Next run is Wednesday so on the cross trainer tomorrow :)
expat68

Post by expat68 »

A piece of cack or a piece of cake, Mido? I hope it's the later. ;)
Andyt21

Post by Andyt21 »

Just back from the dreaded wk 5 run 3 and like the thread leader couldn't imagine jumping from 8 to 20 minutes. But I did it !!! In fact I found it easier than runs 1 and 2 this week. So I know everyone else I saying how good this app is but take it from me it is great! I am 51 and fairly fit from swimming and cycling but have always believed I couldn't run. Looks like I just needed Coach Claire and some well chosen tunes to get me running. Next stop the running shop to get my gait (fast shuffle ) analysed and some decent shoes.

Good luck :D
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Well done Andy! All you guys making those 20 min runs and I know I'll be the one who collapses at the half way mark haha