Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jysmystry

Re: Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Post by Jysmystry »

Yeah boredom is a problem on longer runs isnt it. I watch tv shows whilst i run to keep me going but if what i watch gets dull i start to watch that timer and it ticks down so very slowly.

I dont think there is an answer. I just started watch the first series of House and im hoping it gets better as so far im not getting into it :(
You can run but you'll just die tired
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Just a quickie - i restarted week 6 and did W6R1 and it went perfectly. No issues at all and it felt fine. So i think im over my lull and can continue my running proper. Also including walking each at the start (but not the end) i was dead on the 4km mark so that 5 km target is within sight :)
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

W6R2 (2 x 10) = done, with ease. Bring on the 25 min jobby on friday :)
Hackneylady

Post by Hackneylady »

I am loving this app. I would never have thought of myself as a runner and it's given me so much confidence. But tonight I'm due to do the 20 minutes and can't believe it's going to happen. It seems like SUCH a big leap. But it's been really interesting to read here how you've all done it...so here goes.
alec

Post by alec »

Jysmystry wrote:W6R2 (2 x 10) = done, with ease. Bring on the 25 min jobby on friday :)
We are on exactly the same run on the same day. I also did W6R2 on Weds. Not quite with ease but completed it nontheless. The first 10 I did far more easily than I thought I would have but then I got cocky for the 2nd 10 and upped the pace. Big mistake! Anyway, managed to finish it.

For me the next run is the last big hurdle as 2 X 10 mins to 25 mins is a big step. After this it is comparatively small increases so I figure if (and I do mean IF) I can do this run tomorrow then there is zero reason why I can't go ahead and finish the whole thing. No pressure then!
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

W6R3 (25 min solid run) - shins were still a bit sore following wednesdays run but not enough to stop me so i went ahead with this beast. I managed it surprisingly well. I thought id employ the same tactics i used for the 20 min run and stuck a good film (super 8 - good film) on my iphone, set the treadmill to a slow jog and juat got my head down and tried not to watch the time ticking away.

It went very well and i made it to the 22 minute mark before it started to become a struggle. Those last 3 minutes felt longer than the first 22 mins but i made it through and ran 4.3km and apparently burnt off 330 calories in the process.

I really felt the burn in my thighs and me T-shirt was totally soaked at the end but i have now hot the moat amazing buzz.im looking forwardto week 7 now which is all 25 min runs.

Cant wait to hear how alec and co got on, please let me know :) just think how tough it was when we started this!! I remember really struggling running 3 minutes and we are now gast approaching 30 mins solid running!!! Incredible haha
alec

Post by alec »

Well, I just completed W7R2, the second of the four 25 minute runs. It was fine but I need to up my pace a bit as I only managed 3.7km! :oops:

I tried to releive the boredom a bit today by watching something on my iPad but it made me feel a bit sick so I had to stop. I guess it could be a version of motion sickness???? Anyway, as I said the 25 mins runs have been ok once I get over the psychological issue of convincing my mind that it is even vaguely possible. My legs dont hurt as mush, I seem to be able to control the shin pain and as long as I concentrate on my breathing I can even keep my lungs under control (I was a smoker for 25 years but stopped 2 years ago). It really is amazing how much of this is psychological and how half the battle is just convincing yourself you can do it. My line of argument to myself for a 25 min run goes a bit like this:

Just go for 10 mins. You know you can do that.
OK, now go to 12.5 mins. That's half way.
Well you might as well go to 20 mins now as you have done that before.
Ok, 5 mins to go. JUST DONT STOP!
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Haha i count down the time in the exact same way!! Im constantly working out how much longer to go!!

Today was my W7R1 (1 x 25 mins) which is the second solid 25 run of the programme. It all gets rather hardcore from hereon in hehe

Again some slight shin pain but nothing i couldnt deal with and i dont feel it when running, they just feel very tender afterwards!!

It went pretty well except for two things:-

1. My headphone cable hit the clearly too sensitive "stop" button on the treadmill at the halfway point so i had an unexpected walk whilst i set it going again. I made up for this by doing the last 4 minutes at a proper running speed (which all felt rather exilarating) rather than my usual semi-jog sped

2. Over the weekend i foolishly did jilian michaels 30 Day Shred dvd and holy crap that woman is a demon!! It looked really simply but i have never been so knackered in all my life and my legs and abs feel like i have been in a car crash!! As such i am again hobbling around with aching muscles haha. Im gonna keep it up with both the running and the 30 day shred as well as cross trainer on off days and if that doesnt shrink my waistline a but then i dont know what will haha!

Honesty dont do the 30 day shred thing, its actually like torture!!!!!!! I wanted to cru i was so knacked, only a 20 min workout too!! Makes running seem like having a bubblebath!
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Today was W7R2 (1 x 25) which went well, slowed it down a tad for the last 5 mins but definatly easier than the last 25 min runs.did have an awkward moment as was watching a film called Primal and there was a scary scene that made me jump and i lost my footing a bit and nearly fell off the treadmill haha

Today i tried something new! The Pose running method.

I read about this on the graduate forums. It is basically a more efficient way of running and was developed for triathlon runners. The basic principle is that nature dictates that when a human runs its to escape a cave troll and maximum sprint is gained from pushing off from the ball of the foot to gain the benefit of the extra power from the calf muscle but for longer distance running this is high impact and energy inefficient. The Pose running method uses gravity rather than muscle power to advance the lower part of the leg. This is simply done by totally relaxing the lower leg and lifting it all from the knee up. You then simply lean forward slightly and gravity does the rest.

What this does is firstly makes you land on a flat foot rather than the heel and rolling the foot forward to push from the front. It also means the calf muscles are barely engaged and the feet are on the ground significantly less so there is less shock impact and sonyour legs spend less time supporting your body weight as you land.

The result...either less energy expended for the same running speed or a faster running speed for the same amount of effort and either way much less stress on the lower leg reducing injury!!!

There are some great videos on youtube about this that show the same person running using normal and pose style in slow motion and i must say its very compelling and i reccomend you investigate it. My shins ache significantly less tonight than usual so hurrah :)
alec

Post by alec »

I was also due to do W7R2 yesterday but as I had a really busy morning I decided to do it after work instead. Big mistake. I don't know why but I just couldn't do it and barely even got half way! I felt so down about it afterwards...

So, this morning I got up early and tried again and whilst not easy I did it without too much bother. No idea what happened yesterday but I am back on track again now and chuffed that I got over this bump so quickly.