I am ashamed of myself!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
starknut

I am ashamed of myself!

Post by starknut »

I could not run the entire 25 minutes today. My legs just wouldn't keep going. This whole week I've been really struggling, my pace is terrible and it feels like I'm running through syrup. Hopefully next week's runs will be easier.
Sg318320

Re: I am ashamed of myself!

Post by Sg318320 »

Nothing to be ashamed of! You may need to take supplements to help with soreness. It's normal for your body to feel a little beat up. In time, it will be easier:). Hang in there!
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

Oh my goodness, you are up to running 25 minutes! I am bragging to everyone I can run 3 minutes! WOW!

Hello! Not long ago you were running nothing, so I think it is amazing you are up to here. You may have had an off day, your body is tired, etc. Choose a day to run when you have no other distractions and maybe go a little slower.

I feel a bit useless though as a 3 minute runner telling a 20 minute runner what to do! I think it is amazing you are doing that.

http://ausgirlscouchto5ks.blogspot.com/
starknut

Post by starknut »

Any advice is appreciated, Ausgirl! And you will be doing 20 and 25 minute runs before you know it, too. I remember quite well being worried how I would do the three minute runs.

But I'm still disappointed. I did the 20 minute run last week and found it easier than I hoped, so I was expecting the 25 minute run to be only a little harder...
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Oh my goodness starky, I know exactly what you are talking about now. I am in Week 6 and have struggled! I also found the 20 minute run last week achievable.

I think I have to repeat it..you were ashamed of not finishing 25 minutes!? I didn't finish the second 10 minute of day 2! Got to the last 5 minutes and couldn't go on any longer. There were a multiple of reasons, mostly all my fault (e.g. went too late in the day = heat, drank coffee before = dehydrated)!!

I am going to repeat the run again, then try and fit in the 25 minutes over the weekend. I would like to get it done before the year's end!

I really don't want to have to repeat a week, I know it is fine to do it, but I just don't want to, ha ha! Oh well, I might just have to...it is really okay...I keep telling myself.

How are you going now? Did you get through the 25minutes?
starknut

Post by starknut »

I decided to repeat week seven. Last week's runs were so horrible, I was on the verge of tears the whole time because I honestly could not keep going. Last week, the first run went fine, and the two others after were an absolute horror, so hopefully this week isn't more of the same: today's run was amazing! I beat my personal best on the mile by a whole minute and set a new distance record! I struggled a bit with side stitches, but otherwise I completed the whole 25 minute run with no problem. It felt great!

You sound a lot like me, in that you sort of expect more from yourself than you do from others, is that right? Because I totally feel the same way you do: I know I can repeat a week, but I hate to do it! And I have advised people several times to repeat a week if they felt they needed to! :lol:
ausgirlscouchto5ks

I decided to forget about Day 2 and I went straight into the 25 minutes, and completed it! Oooo the last 5 minutes was all psychological...I was trying to stop but I wouldn't let myself...I think the desperation of not wanting to repeat a week was far greater than any endurance barriers!

Oh yes, I think we are the same! Hehehehe. I am really scared of next weeks runs, I think I will be in the same boat as you, I will tear up too when I am struggling...we get so sad when we don't finish a run, and it stays with you all day.
starknut

Post by starknut »

Well done! :D Yes, those last five minutes are the longest, most never-ending minutes EVER. Funny how the five minute warm up goes by in a flash, yet those final five of the run just drag.
starknut

Post by starknut »

Well, today's run was AMAZING. I hardly knew what to do with myself, because I left my son at home with his dad. Running without my "partner" was lonely and strange! But not pushing an extra 40-odd pounds along made all the difference, and I took another minute and fifteen seconds off my best mile. Crazy! Set another new distance record, nearly 3 miles, which seemed impossible when I first started.

Repeating week seven seems to be just what I needed. When I start week eight on Wednesday, I will be so ready!