Breathing while running. I hear you have to do it

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
JASONOB1

Breathing while running. I hear you have to do it

Post by JASONOB1 »

The biggest issue I've ever had when running is getting my breating technique just right. I've just downloaded the app and I'm encouraged to see that part of the reasons it's a slow start is to allow the lungs to increase their capacity.

Did anyone else have the same issue before taking on this app?
caffrin

Re: Breathing while running. I hear you have to do it

Post by caffrin »

Absolutely! My breathing was all over the place when I started out. Sometimes I had to take in a really deep breath half way through a run, sometimes I had to slow right down to stop myself wheezing loud enough to scare the birds from the trees! Eventually, once you are in a rhythm and have found your pace the breathing becomes second nature. I think the trick is to find a pace which is comfortable for you and not to overwork the lungs. They very quickly catch up. I am now on Bridge to 10k and it really does feel like I am starting again. Its tough but very rewarding to finish the programme.
www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

GOD YES!

It's amazing really. It as you go along your breathing adapts just like your legs and heart and everything else do. You kinda have to strugglethrough it to come out the other size but its not so tough, by the time your running 3 mins you'll have it sorted so its just thisefirst few runs and really its not that much of a deal. Sometimes though if i have some water it can make me out of breath because I get my breathing out of sync but keep at it you will figure out what works.

I am only on week 5 and I don't find that out of breath feeling is an issue any more, I could run for ages i think and I was like some kind of disabled hippo when i was doing the first run lol
You can run but you'll just die tired
expat68

Post by expat68 »

I'm still struggling with breathing too. My lungs give out long before my muscles do. Of course it doesn't help that I haven't managed to pack in the cigarettes either. :roll:
JASONOB1

Post by JASONOB1 »

Thanks for the replies. Nice to know there's light at the end of the tunnel and it's not the a&e ward