New Guy- Help -Shoes and Tracking my route

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
creativebond

New Guy- Help -Shoes and Tracking my route

Post by creativebond »

Glad to meet you all. I am a big guy- just under 300 pounds- who is looking to start this week. I was planning on going to get "real" shoes for running. Since I am EEEE width and have never run I figure I better take care of my feet.

Any advice or recommendations? The local running store has shoes that will run me about $100 (US) is that too much?

Also- I saw several other apps ( free ) that had a way to track your route and share it over a google map, is there a way to do this via the Get Running app, or can i run another app on my iPhone as I take my cues from the GetRunning app?

I can't wait to try this- I know it will stink and hurt and start off basically depressing as I barely get out of my driveway- but I am excited to see the improvement over the long haul. Pray for me :)

Thanks- appreciate the feedback/insight

Creativebond
Havre de Grace, Maryland
5'6" 300lbs - Starting Week 1
starknut

Re: New Guy- Help -Shoes and Tracking my route

Post by starknut »

A good pair of running shoes is absolutely worth the price! What constitutes "good" is different for everyone, but I think $100 is entirely reasonable, especially if you're a hard-to-find size.

There are several nice GPS apps I've tried with Get Running. iMapMyRun is free, and I really liked that one. But I feel like you get what you pay for, and I highly recommend the Nike+ GPS app. I can't remember how much it costs, but it's so worth it. It has voice feedback like Get Running, monitors your average pace, time, distance, and keeps track of your personal records: it will tell you during a run if you come close to your distance record. At the end, if you've beaten a personal best, it will tell you. Even if you had an entirely unexceptional run, you will get some kind of encouragement when you're finished, which is nice.
creativebond

Post by creativebond »

Doesn't the Nike one have a device which needs to be installed? I figure I will be in New Balances.
Thanks for the feedback.

Do you know of a link to recommended stretches? I almost feel stupid asking, but figures I would inquire.

Thanks again.
creativebond

Post by creativebond »

http://running.about.com/od/stretchesfo ... unning.htm

duh- link right on page about stretching... thanks again for the insight- downloaded the imap app
starknut

Post by starknut »

No, Nike+ GPS doesn't have that little chip you put in you shoe. There's nothing to install but the app itself. :)
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

creativebond wrote:Doesn't the Nike one have a device which needs to be installed? I figure I will be in New Balances.
Thanks for the feedback.

Do you know of a link to recommended stretches? I almost feel stupid asking, but figures I would inquire.

Thanks again.
I have put a picture on my blog that shows how to do stretches:

http://ausgirlscouchto5ks.blogspot.com/ ... ation.html

I find these ones really easy to follow and do all the areas needed.
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Hey bud, i was a 250lb new runner when i started.

My advice is get properly fitted runnning shoes. Its not at all a case of the more you pay the better, its all about getting the right suport in the right places on your foot. Go somewhere where the sales staff know their stuff ideally with some form of gait analysis. This will HUGELY reduce the risk of injury which us bigger chaps are more
Prone to. Id also strongly suggest some moulded insoles like www.footbalance.co.uk sell. I bought a pair recently and the difference is astounding! I find that hoodnshows correct a generic foot defect (such as a general overpronation etc) but the insoles being heat moulded to your feet really correct the naturl roll of your foot and thats what gave me the mostmpronlems (too much roll = shin pain).

Also run real slow, i tried to push it and insuffered the consequences, worry only about sticking the time out, go as slow as you need to do that, speed will come :)

Finally for morale purposes when i started this inwas 254lbs and a size 40 waist, by week 6 im a size 36 waist and rather lighter. I have repeated a few weeks, been dieting too and indonthe cross trainer on non-running days but you know this programmme can be tough but it wont kill you and the benefits are amazing :)))
You can run but you'll just die tired