Week 4 Knee Pain

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
stuartd007

Week 4 Knee Pain

Post by stuartd007 »

Hi there,
I completed 1st run week4 yesterday and afterwards my knees got sore just below the knee cap. Been limping around today, stairs are a killer. Had shin splints in weeks 2 and some of week 3 but they seemed to have gone. Anyone got advice about my 2nd run tomorrow? Should I give try it or wait until my knees have calmed down a bit? Anything I should be doing to improve the situation? Yesterday went not too badly on the breathing front - seems to be my mechanical bits that are failing me at the moment.
Thanks,
StuartD.
Biscottisblog

Re: Week 4 Knee Pain

Post by Biscottisblog »

Hi Stuart,

From a completely non-medical point of view, I suffered with 'shankle' pain (an officially made up word that described pain in my ankles and half way up my shins) after doing a much longer run/walk than normal. I hobbled around in pain the next day and did another run but, really regretted it that night as the pain was much worse. I took 3 whole days off from exercise until the pain had totally gone and was fine on my next session.

I think the key is to listen to your body - the no pain, no gain theory was thrown out in the 90's!!

Hope this helps! :D
Biscotti x

Got 5 mins to spare? Why not read my blog! www.biscottisblog.co.uk
niddynoddy

Post by niddynoddy »

Hi

I could have written this post myself! You're describing me completely and I did run 1 of week 4 yesterday!

I too am suffering from a shin pain but mine is not going away. I have also had a pain in the knee. An ice pack for 20 odd mins after the run, ibuprofen gel, 3 day rest with leg up when possible and my knee is fine now. Wish I could say the same for the shins.

Not sure if this is any help. Resting for 3 days really helped. It felt like a lifetime but did my knee the power of good.

Zoe
stuartd007

Post by stuartd007 »

Thanks for the responses. Knees had loosened up a bit today so thought it's a nice sunny evening, I'll try run 2 - finished it, but... ice packs you say?! ;)