Never run before

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
wiganjon

Never run before

Post by wiganjon »

Lied in bed...just d/loaded app...first run in the morning...gulp....ill let you know if i survive... :geek:
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Re: Never run before

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

You will be fantastic!

Just know that none of us had ever run before! 6 weeks later, I just completed my very first straight 25 minute jog! I wasn't doing any exercise when I started.

It is very much psychological as it is physical. If you struggle today, you may find it easier to spend one week going for 30 minute walks, as many times as you can, just to get your body into the idea of exercising. I found that helped me :)

You will have great days where you feel like a running pro and days where you think your legs will fall off, but the happiness that comes from achieving a time far out ways any pain.

I have noted down all my sessions and accumulated a set of tips that I have learned along the way, you may also find them helpful.

http://ausgirlscouchto5ks.blogspot.com/p/my-tips.html
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Hey wiganjon, welcome to the club.

Good luck tomorrow and make sure you update us on how it goes for you. I was where you are 6 weeks ago and i really felt terribly unfit after that first run (i couldnt finish it, stopped on the penultimate run) but i ran a full 20 minutes last week so even if this is your first time ever running we have all been there relativly recently and can cheer you on :)
You can run but you'll just die tired
wiganjon

Post by wiganjon »

Just got back from first run....my 12 year old stepson came along also,we both thought the first run would be fairly easy(who knew a minute could last so long!!!) We both got a bit breathless (doesn't say much about the fitness levels of our kids) I'm 40 BTW and 14 stone.We both enjoyed it though and will be out again on Sunday.At this point I can't imagine running none stop for 30 mins....we will stick to the programme and post updates..good luck to all the other runners who are trying like me to fend off the middle aged spread. :ugeek:
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

I'm 43 and did weigh 14 stone before I started :oops: . Now into the 11 stones :D
It's surprising at first how hard it is to run for a minute, but before long you won't recognise yourself. You will actually want to go out and run, your lungs will get better and your legs will get fitter. It's great that you are getting your kid out with you too. If there are two of you you will spur each other on. Keep it up, we are all eager to hear how you get on.
Catherine
http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
wiganjon

Post by wiganjon »

just checked out your Blog caffrin , blimey your half the woman you used to be , is it just running you do now?
wiganjon

Post by wiganjon »

Second run finished....massive stitch halfway round.managed to finish though,roll on run three :geek:
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Nice one! I struggled badly ony second run but the third run went much better, so if your biggest problem with run 2 was a stitch your gonna do fine. They stop pretty quick i found, havent had one since week 2.
You can run but you'll just die tired
Shuffler

Post by Shuffler »

I'm 57, about 35 pounds overweight and have never so much as run for a bus. I was a fat child, fat teenager and fat woman. Various diets have worked for a while, but I've never been active. So I'm not sure why Charlie Brooker's article led me to download Runkeeper. I've been looking at it on my phone ever since, but last week I bit the bullet and did my first "run". More of a stagger, really. However, I did manage to run 8 times in that session, though not for more than 30 seconds at any one time. Since then I've been out twice more. Each time I've done the 8 runs, but I've only managed one complete minute. I think I'll be repeating Week 1 several times before I can move on, but I've got 57 sedentary years to make up for! I feel quite proud that I'm moving at last, and relieved that nothing aches too badly.
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Wiganjon, thanks :-) yes, only running, although i did my back in for a few months in the summer and think I should do yoga or pilates or something to strengthen my core. Its supposed to help with the running too but I will get round to signing up for a class eventually.
Shuffler. Keep it going! My "runs" were barely more than a walk at first. Don't push it too hard. I also walked 20 minutes everyday for about a month before I even started the programme just to get my body used to actually moving! I am adamant that helped :-)
Catherine
http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com