Never run before

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Shuffler

Re: Never run before

Post by Shuffler »

Thanks for your encouragement, Catherine. It's good to know that my rather pathetic start might lead somewhere. I went for a walk today, as it was not a 'run day', just to keep the limbs going. Back to the start of Week One for me tomorrow.
nippyted

Post by nippyted »

I am 54 with a BMI of about 29 so on doctors orders I have started to run. Firstly the app is just what I wanted as it provides the stimulus to go out and run and then during the run encourages me to keep going. I have managed to get to week 3 and have just come in from run 1. It was OK but I get quite out of breath and legs are tired by the end of the 3 minute runs. Mt first goal is to do the short runs without getting so out of breath and begging for the nice voice to say OK I can walk again!

I hope I will stick at it and that writing this encourgaes anybody reading to give it a go. I'm also not very good at sticking to these fads but maybe this time will be different.

I really hope my wife who is doing it with me will be able to pick it back up as soon as her ankle is better and we can both see it through to the end. Right now I cant imagine running for 30 minutes non stop though so we shall see!

All the best to the new runners of 2012!
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

nippyted wrote:I am 54 with a BMI of about 29 so on doctors orders I have started to run. Firstly the app is just what I wanted as it provides the stimulus to go out and run and then during the run encourages me to keep going. I have managed to get to week 3 and have just come in from run 1. It was OK but I get quite out of breath and legs are tired by the end of the 3 minute runs. Mt first goal is to do the short runs without getting so out of breath and begging for the nice voice to say OK I can walk again!

I hope I will stick at it and that writing this encourgaes anybody reading to give it a go. I'm also not very good at sticking to these fads but maybe this time will be different.

I really hope my wife who is doing it with me will be able to pick it back up as soon as her ankle is better and we can both see it through to the end. Right now I cant imagine running for 30 minutes non stop though so we shall see!

All the best to the new runners of 2012!
We all begged for her to walk and before you know it you will be jogging for 30 minutes! I have never stuck to anything really and to my amazement I have consistently stuck to this program and have really enjoyed it - I never ever thought in my life I would be able to jog for a distance. As you want to achieve the new challenges, this turns into a lifestyle change rather than just a fad.
nippyted

Post by nippyted »

Well I've just come in from the dreaded 20 min run of week 5 run 3!!
I managed to keep going by just keeping my pace steady and fairly slow. The weather was cold but really sunny so that helped. Mind you the pub meal and a couple of pints last night didn't!
If anybody is just starting out on this my advice is to stick at it, it does get better and I love the feeling of achievement when I get home to a bath. It's pure heaven

Keep going and good luck. My motto: Right here, Right now!
Trunner

Post by Trunner »

Wow nippyted you must be very pleased with yourself. That's fantastic! I was due to run week 4 run1 today but am poorly. V upset because I was really looking forward to running today. Im sort of dreaming about w5 r3 with a mixture of fear & excitement.