Running Pace & Distance

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Running Pace & Distance

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

I have just entered into the 'pro' section of the program (hehe) of the 25 minute jogs of Wk7. I have started using a GPS app that maps my distance and pace. At the moment I am just getting into it so I am not exactly winning any races! 8-)

I would really like to know what pace/distance everyone else is up to? I have only been measuring the jog, not the walking warm ups.

In 25 minutes..I....am....covering....just....under.....4kms at an average pace of 6:55mins/km. I am jogging on grass and pathways. I will call it a run though, because at the moment I am going as fast as I can!
Jysmystry

Re: Running Pace & Distance

Post by Jysmystry »

I go on a treadmill so i have a good idea of distance i guess. On a 20 min run i cover 4km. My warm up walking speed is at seting 6.3 which is a fast walk. What i feel is a comfortable running speed is 10 but i knocked it back to 9 to reduce shin pain. I go back further to 8.5 in those "i cant go on but i cant give up" moments. For me speed 8 is that awkward balance point thats too fast too walk but too slow to run.

So if your concerned your going too slow your not compared to me hahahah
You can run but you'll just die tired
starknut

Post by starknut »

My fastest 1 km was 7:something. I am so slow!
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Oh my goodness JM...4ks in 20 minutes, I just got all excited that I hit the 4km mark in my 25min (and a bit) jog! You are a pro! I admire you doing it on a treadmill, I would of given up ages ago because I need the destination to motivate me. Although, come winter, a treadmill may have to be an option.

Starky, I doesn't matter how slow we are going, just as long as we are going!! We are still in the phase of achieving a time frame. We can worry about that after we finish the program :P That will keep us motivated in our 10th week...trying to improve our pace/distance...or to actually complete 5kms in 30mins?

I was curious to learn of others' pace, because I am definitely jogging, not running, and I was hoping that I was doing the right thing, seeing it is called "Get Running." I guess jogging doesn't sound so inspiring hahaha.

BUT, in today's run, I went faster than last run. I did an average speed of 6:36mins/km. In my first 1.6kms, my pace was 5:40mins/km!!! That is running!! Of course that didn't last after the 10 minute mark and I snuck in a quick walk at the 18 minute mark...but still, we are getting better! Note though, I finished over an hour ago and I still haven't got up off the couch..haha ironic.

I have no idea how I am going to achieve an extra kilometre in 5mins. Have to get those legs really rotating!
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Hey!
Ausgirl, I know you'll DEFINITELY get to 5k in 30 min. :D Your motivation is so inspirational!

I also have a question. As for charting my distance, will my iPod work with Runkeeper, as it doesn't have GPS or anything? I greatly appreciate everyone's advice! Thanks!

Joel
ausgirlscouchto5ks

JoelGwood wrote:Hey!
Ausgirl, I know you'll DEFINITELY get to 5k in 30 min. :D Your motivation is so inspirational!

I also have a question. As for charting my distance, will my iPod work with Runkeeper, as it doesn't have GPS or anything? I greatly appreciate everyone's advice! Thanks!

Joel
Aw thank you! I can't believe I am jogging for 25mins! I used to be so excited at 1 and a half minutes!

I think you may have to buy an extra device that works with the app you download. I know the one I use can be used with other external devices, however I am not to clued up on all of that.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

If you don't have GPS a great tool to work out your distance is GMap Pedometer. It's a nice to know, but don't sweat it – do the time, then focus on the distance.
badabing

Post by badabing »

Just want to give my speeds on the treadmill. I did the program (until W7) outside this summer but stopped because of cold weather and we bought a treadmill 3 weeks ago (Did W3D1 this morning).

At the moment, my walk speed is 5.5km/h and running/jogging is 7.4km/h. I know speed isn't that important but how do you guys find these speeds ? Are they ok ?
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Thats pretty much what i run at on treadmill, my fast walk is between 5.8 - 6.3 and i run at 8.

I find that much slower than 8 is that awkward mix point between a too fast walk but a too slow jog. I really aim to go as slow as i can and still be jogging so what you do is the same as me give or take a wee bit for leg length etc
You can run but you'll just die tired
GettingUpOfftheCouch

Post by GettingUpOfftheCouch »

I am so slow!! Takes me 55 Minutes to do the 5k. I'm in panick mode because I'm in a relay on feb 11. My part is only 5k, thank God, but I hate dragging my team down. Any ideas how to speed up in only 2 weeks???!! Help!!