Bad run today!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
niddynoddy

Bad run today!

Post by niddynoddy »

I did not have a good run today and feeling down about it.

I am visiting my sister who is also doing this program but she is on week 2 and I am on week 4. We went out much later than I would have liked so it was hot. She was also able to run much faster than I was! She overtook me! Feel like I am so slow now.

not a good day

zoe
beginnerrunner

Re: Bad run today!

Post by beginnerrunner »

Keep going and remember everyone has different paces. I'm also at week 4 stage finding it hard but determined to carry on through it. Didn't help today as the temperatures are very high!
niddynoddy

Post by niddynoddy »

Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement! I just felt a little disheartened because I though I was doing ok and making real progress but then was whipped by my sister who's training so far has been a bit hit and miss.

I know what you mean about the weather. I normally run after I take my daughter to school but today at that time it was roasting! ;)

Zoe
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hey Zoe, try not to be dissheartened. Everyone has bad days, on another day it might have been your sister. I read a blog the other week of a well seasoned marathon runner and he said that what he loved about running was how on one day he could run 26 miles yet on a different day 5 k would be a struggle. I took from that that's it happens to the best.

I used to teach kickboxing and without fail the one thing that would kill a person's motivation was when they got through the initial steep learning curve and started to compare themseves to others.

I know I have 'optimun' performance criteria.... Lololol ( did I just say that?) I have to go out at about 6am and I like the cold and rain. I struggle a bit in anything else at any time... Sounds like you suffered that too? Changed your routine too much... What I do know is it's a mental block... Because if I can run for half an hour at 6am in the rain... I actually can do it anytime... If I believe that I can!

Good luck, I am sure your next run will be better

dawn
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Zoe,

Don't worry – you are making real progress! You are running, right? And, in week 4, you are running for five minutes uninterrupted!

I definitely agree that it's not a good idea to start comparing yourself to others, even siblings :-) Compare yourself to yourself, and see how you are progressing – anything else just isn't fair!

You will get bad days. If you can see what went wrong and learn something, that's great, but sometimes, they're just bad, and that's about it; humans are pretty complex machines, right?! Don't get put off, and you'll be having a good run in no time.

All the best!
niddynoddy

Post by niddynoddy »

Thanks everyone!

Its normally me saying to people be positive and see the positives not the negatives.

I have since been out twice and both runs were much much better. The pains in my knee and shin have all but disappeared and so running is a hell of alot easier. I can do 5 mins and I know I can do more. I am relaxing more into the run, keeping a steady pace (all be it a rather slow pace) and enjoying it. I am doing run 2 of week 5 tomorrow, two 8 min runs and really looking forward to pushing my little legs and seeing what they can do.

I am as you say dawn a creature of habit. I run in the morning after I have dropped my daughter off at school. But yesterday I got a call at 7.15 asking me to go into work! Arrrrrr my run! It would have been easy to say 'sod it' and leave it till another day. But I packed my running stuff and did it after work from my parents house, new time, new route and do you know what, it was fine!

I am loving this running lark and I love Get Running. I think someone should make some running vests with it on, I'd wear one.

Zoe