Week 8 and I'm a bit stuck

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
belwebb

Week 8 and I'm a bit stuck

Post by belwebb »

I'm on week 8 of c25k (I'm actually re-running it, as I did for some of the other weeks) and I'm struggling a bit with how sluggish I feel running (running isn't the right term, slow-jogging is more apt) - I recognise that the first five or ten minutes are always a bit of a struggle but today I only managed 24 minutes and last week on one of the days I only managed 22 of the 28 minutes. And another thing, I started this in October and, whilst I feel better for it, I've lost not one ounce - in fact, I think I've gained! How can this be? I know I'll finish the programme but I'm just wondering if there's any way I can push myself more without collapsing in a heap. I'm committed to 2012 being my year of the run!

Bel
starknut

Re: Week 8 and I'm a bit stuck

Post by starknut »

How much water do you drink? For me, I tend to feel sluggish like that and have a lot of trouble with my runs if I haven't been drinking enough water. I really have to be vigilant about how much water I'm drinking, and sometimes it feels like a chore to get in at least 32 oz a day, but it really does make a huge difference in how I feel when I'm running.

As for weight, I am right there with you: haven't lost a pound! Everyone else, it seems, is saying "oh the weight just fell off when I started running," so sometimes I feel like I'm doing it wrong! But I do notice my legs are much more toned, which I love, so I know I must have lost some weight at some point and gained some muscle to make up for it. The important thing is to be active and as healthy as you can be. If you're on week eight, it's pretty clear your cardio health is not lacking, so try not to worry too much about the number on the scale.
belwebb

Post by belwebb »

Thanks - it could be the fluids! I shall remember to take some out with me! And I'm glad you identify re weight loss! Onward...

B
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

I used to find that my last 10 minutes were very sluggish (okay they still are - but not as much!), I was gasping for air and didn't actually 100% jog my 25 minute runs of week 7. So I downloaded a GPS tracker and found that I was running my first 1.6km (1 mile) too fast, therefore my last 15 minutes of jogging were a big struggle.

I now put effort into managing my pace in the first 10 minutes and this has made a world of difference to my jogs - I am now doing the whole 28 minutes without walking and at a consistent pace.

I think you should download the app too and you may find you were doing the same as me.

I hope that helps! As with water, I find I feel sick if I drink it while I am running, so I make sure I drink two big cups before I go as I am stretching.

Also, if you look at my body tracker on my blog, I have only lost 2kgs in 2 months! BUT I can actually get some clothes on again that I haven't worn in over a year and my family have commented on how my body is becoming toned. I guess blubber is melting away, but muscle is building up, so it isn't going to show on the scales but more in how clothes fit. I put on a pair of skinny leg capris that before the program I could not get past my thighs! Stuff the scales!
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

If you put on a bit of weight thats normal. Your building new muscle which is heavier than fat. When you gets sore legs thats tiny tears in your muscles fibres. This is called delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Your bodies thinks "eek that was so much work it damaged me trying to do the task so i must become stronger in case we do the same thing again" so it fills those tiny tears with new muscle. Your leg muscles are massive so there are lots of tears (which is why it hurts so much haha) and so you could well put on weight at first.

This is a good thing because muscle burns fat just by existing! So the more muscle you have the higher your metabolism. Exercise also boots your metabolism :)

In terms of weight loss that will come with time. Right now you are just getting your body used to this new activity. You cant run long distances or run very fast (both of which burn calories faster). So right now your runs burn maybe 200 calories which is like half a mars bars worth of food. But when you can run for an hour at faster speed you will be burning more like 1000 calories. Do that twice a week and thats pretty much a days worth of food. Combine that with a healthy diet and boom, fat gets burnt off :)

So do not give up because running is an extremely effective exercise for weight loss but you have to build up to it. If it wasnt hard everyone would be skinny :)
You can run but you'll just die tired
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

I would add that am one of thise annoying people who has lost weight but inhabe drastically altered my diet and i do other exercise on non running days.

I used to drink a lot of coke and i ate badly at lunch time at work (i am embarrassed to say id often have a sandwich, chrisps, bottle of coke and a sausage roll for lunch) and lots of chinese takeaways etc. I also did absolutly zero exercise.

Now my lunch has gone from around 700 calories to 120, i dont drink much coke at all (only occassional treat on a friday) and i eat healthier at evening. This combined with cardio 5 days a week and i have lost over a stone now and can git in all my old jeans.

I would totally reccomend getting one of thise apps that counts calories, i used a bar code scanner one, and record your caloties for 1 week. This is what shocked me because you would be amazed how easy it is to massivly overeat if you eat too much of the wrong things. 1 week being concious of this makes you much better at making healthier choices without getting obsessed about it.

Good exemple is crisps (or chips for the usa) walkers chrisps are 1 quarter the calories of macoys and its little things like that which reduce your energy intake meaning your exercise has more effect.
You can run but you'll just die tired
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

Okay, I should take my own advice.

Just came back from the third 28 minute jog and the last half was made of walking/jogging burst/hobble/walking. I checked my GPS pace tracker and it showed that my first 10 minutes were too fast (for me) again. In the last two sessions I regulated my speed and therefore I was able to 100% complete them, unlike today.

As with weight loss, I just put on a pair of stretch denim shorts that 1 month ago I could not get over my hips! Woo hoo! I haven't been able to put them on for 2 years. Scales aren't budging though, I am still 10kg over where I need to be, but I fit into clothes again that I wore at that weight, strange!

JM is much better than me, I have completely indulged in food and drinks over the festive season (that my appetite still thinks is going). However, I have never really had a bad diet, I just wasn't exercising and therefore I slowly grew over the years.

I would not have been able to do this program if I was consciously dieting as well, my energy levels would of been shot. I have noticed that subconsciously I am eating better and drinking more water though. My body just doesn't want the unhealthy foods. For example, I have cut out bread (subconsciously) because I get stomach cramps if I eat it the day before a jog. That is similar with carbohydrate based dinners (like pasta), I avoid eating them the night before a session for the same reason.
GettingUpOfftheCouch

Post by GettingUpOfftheCouch »

I'm on week 8 also. Running a 5k race on Feb 11, and there is no way I'll be able to finish at the pace im going. At week 8 shouldn't I be running more than 1.5 miles? 3.2 miles seems so far away!!!!
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Running is for fitness. Diet is for weight loss.
I didn't lose any weight by just running alone. I had to reign in my eating too. I didn't do any fad diets or cut any of my favourite stuff out, I just ate smaller portions. I lost 28lbs over 8/9 months (I'm not in a hurry :roll: ) Now I am running 5k's regularly my weight has stabilised so I need to either run more or eat less to lose my last 14lbs. Have a look at your eating habits and see where you can maybe lose a couple of 100 calories each day.
@ gettingupofthecouch I ran my first 5k in week 8. It was quite unintentional! I went along to my local 5k parkrun (see parkrun.com) to see what it was like and to cheer hubby along. Once I saw children, dogs and pushchairs where involved I decided to do my week 8 run 2 as part of it and walk the rest. I was so taken up with the crowd I jogged the WHOLE thing in 40 minutes!!! see my blog post about it here http://42lbstolose.blogspot.com/2011/06 ... er-5k.html.
You CAN do it! Just don't think about it too much.
Good luck guys and happy running! :D
Catherine
http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
Nud

Post by Nud »

Great to read these questions and answers. I found that what made a difference for me was getting a heart rate monitor. I realized that even though I was feeling sluggish I was not working all that hard - certainly not too hard. I was actually reassured by that. I pace myself to stay around 80% of my maximum heart rate and I am running (well, jogging) much faster.
I realized that feeling sluggish is irrelevant to how my run is going. Sometimes it seems easier than other times, but it really makes no difference to my exercise. So I just ignore the sluggish feeling and get my heart rate up and keep it there.
It just isn't always going to feel good.
Like you, I haven't lost weight. Now I am controlling calories and the weight is starting to shift.
I am just about to start week 9. Having gotten to 28 minutes, I know I can run 30. Wow, I can't believe I finally got here.