Week one...argh!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Abbey

Week one...argh!!

Post by Abbey »

I've just done my first run and as very very novice runner I've got to say it wasn't too bad! The only thing is I got this awful stitch in my side, does anyone else get this? If they do any ideas on how to stop it?? Thanks :)
starknut

Re: Week one...argh!!

Post by starknut »

I used to get a lot of side stitches, too, and the only thing that helped was finally finding a good breathing pattern. Once you've been running for a few weeks, maybe a month, you find what works for you in terms of breathing and pace, and it becomes a lot easier. Now I don't get stitches unless I'm running with someone and we're trying to talk (or if I'm out with my son and he is being particularly chatty and/or restless), or if I've had too much liquid before a run.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm glad it eventually goes, it hasn't put me off it's just annoying. I think might try and concentrate on my breathing a bit more rather than watching the clock! X
Judz

Post by Judz »

Hello
Well done on your first run!!!

I have just finished my second run!!! Phew! I am also a complete novice at running and it was hard!! I do love the fab feeling of accomplishment (even if I did skip the middle run) after a run!! Can't beat it!!

Have fun on your next run!!
dbstr

Post by dbstr »

Abbey

Post by Abbey »

Thank you for posting a link to that article, it was very helpful. I guess it is all down to breathing! I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who suffers!
dbstr

Post by dbstr »

I don't suffer from it myself, but I know you are not alone. There is a lot of information about this on the Internet! :)

I wish you the best of luck with your running. Don't give it up.. You will feel so fresh and alive after running a good distance!
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

I find that I sometimes got tummy cramps during my runs. Number one rule is you can't eat a good time before your session, this will definitely give you cramps, so I go first thing in the morning before breakfast. Another thing that I had to personally do is make sure I went to the bathroom before a session as the body will try to use any excuse to get out of the jogging! Lastly, I found that if I ate carb based meals the day before my run (like bread, pasta) this would give me cramps during my run.

None of these were stitches, but they were tummy cramps that affected my run. Stitches will go with fitness too. Hehe now you have inner knowledge of my body, I hope my experience helps you.