Should I Move on To Week 2?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Stephlperry76

Should I Move on To Week 2?

Post by Stephlperry76 »

Hi Everyone!
I just finished week 1 today!! Woohoo! I looked ahead to week to and notice my runs increase by 30 seconds. I'm not sure if I should move on or repeat week 1. I am able to do all 8 runs in the workout. During the runs though, my calves definitely burn and in the last 10 seconds, I feel like I'm dragging myself. Should I wait until the run becomes a little easier or continue on to week 2 and work through it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Stephanie
http://runafull5k.blogspot.com/
Petra

Re: Should I Move on To Week 2?

Post by Petra »

I've finished the program some time ago. Every time I had to move on to a new week, I thought that it was such a big step and I thought I couldn't make it. But the way the program is organised, the steps you have to do, are doable.
So, just give it a try and surprise yourself!
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

I went through exactly the same thoughts as you, although I had to train myself to not be deterred by 'what a run might be like' and just keep going with the schedule. It is all psychological. Every week is a new step up, where you are thinking "Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine running for that long" and you will be nervous. But you have to remind yourself that the program is designed to ensure you will be ready for the upcoming running time. This doesn't mean it will be easy, but your body will be ready for the challenge.
Trunner

Post by Trunner »

I say onwards an upwards! I've just astounded myself by finishing week 2 today having assumed at the start of the programme I would be repeating each week at least 3 times! I felt the same as you, ie I managed week 1 but not exactly triumphantly. And week 2 has been similar although the sheer joy of managing all the runs has been fantastic. Like you I'm now facing week 3 with some trepidation and am thinking "surely not". But hey ho, I'll give it a try and see what happens.