Keeping track of your runs...

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Toilet Duck

Keeping track of your runs...

Post by Toilet Duck »

I've been looking for a way to keep track of the runs I do, the main problem being I know how long I'm running each time, but simply wouldn't have a clue how far (running with an iPod Touch, so no GPS), and seem to have found the ideal solution...

I knew that after week 9 a lot of runners switch over to Runkeeper pro/free, what I never realised is there is a website that it works hand in hand with. Now heres the clever bit, you can use the runkeeper website as a running log that stores your favorite routes using the magic of google maps.

You'll need to register a free account with the website (when you progress beyond the 9 weeks of C25K, then you will be ready to switch over to runkeeper if you choose to do so). Then you can start adding your local routes that you run regularly. Start by using push pins to mark your route, giving mile markers as you go. If you do a lot of road work, then remember to select the "snap to road" box, and the route selector will follow the twists and turns of the roads you run (deselect "snap to road" for any cross country sections). Once you have marked out your route, click "save" and your route is stored along with total distance for use later. Its also handy for planning other local routes as you progress and decide to run a bit further.

Once your routes are stored, you can then enter "activities", these are for example the running sessions you do. So using the data from "Get running" you know the date and time you exercised for, combine this with the running route you've entered in the runkeeper site, and the website will calculate:

The average time to cover a mile
Average speed
Calories burned
Height climbed

Then you can get a log of your runs month by month. Your Profile page will tell you total distance run, number of runs, total calories burned. Once every thing's set-up its a clever method of keeping track of your running through the C25K programme and beyond.
kishe_lily

Re: Keeping track of your runs...

Post by kishe_lily »

You're my hero :)