Another first timer thanks to Charlie Brooker

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
NiaD

Another first timer thanks to Charlie Brooker

Post by NiaD »

I have been thinking about doing this since reading Charlie Brooker's article. I was sure the Guardian's "Think Yourself Fit" booklet would save me having to bother but there was no sign of me starting that so I found myself a decent back-pack to hold my iPad (don't have a smartphone, which was the main thing stopping me), downloaded the app and set off down to the beach. I managed to do all eight runs but was walking rather slowly in-between. The back pack was a small, very secure one with straps at waist and chest so didn't jiggle about too much. I wondered if it was hampering my breathing at one point but really it was just my unfitness. I am a 45-year-old woman, flabbier and heavier than I want to be, more unfit than I have ever been and always thought running was a stupidly painful thing to do. I am not properly converted yet and found it hard work but reading experiences on this forum makes me want to continue. I liked the voice of the woman on the app. I hope the sun is shining again on Wednesday to help me out of the house.
Shuffler

Re: Another first timer thanks to Charlie Brooker

Post by Shuffler »

I share your views about running, and I too was brought to this by Charlie Brooker. But the awfulness of the first run does diminish. I start Week 2 tomorrow, after "only" 3 weeks on Week 1. Believe me that's a huge achievement for a fat, 57 year old exercise phobic woman! Good luck. Let's stay with it.
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Welcome, keep at it, take it nice and slow and i assure tou that within a week you will look forward to your next run. You will be shocked how fast the improvement comes :)
You can run but you'll just die tired
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

I started this as a 42yr old very unfit 3-4 stone overweight woman last April and could barely breath after 1 minute of running :shock: I am now 2 stone lighter, regularly run 5ks and am training for a 10k in march. I run outside and love almost every minute of it 8-)
Its addictive and its worth it. Its also the easiest way I have found to lose weight while still eating pretty much what I want (slightly smaller portions though).
Good luck with it and enjoy!
Catherine
http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
Johntownfan

Post by Johntownfan »

Hi, welcome
I'm doing week 3 run 2 tonight having started on New Year's Day. Am enjoying it so much I've applied for a place on the Great North Run in September. Take it steady and follow the programme, good luck!!
Shuffler

Post by Shuffler »

Wow! Well done both of you, and thanks so much for the encouragement!
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Way to go, guys! I ran Week 4, Run 2, this morning, and I gotta say that all this running would be SO much harder without Get Running (Actually, I probably wouldn't have started at all)! So keep it up!
NiaD

Post by NiaD »

Just finished week 1! It took me all morning to get out of the house as I had been convinced new running shoes would be delivered in time. I'm thinking they will be the key to believing I can run for a minute and a half next week. I noticed that I was able to walk a lot faster between runs by today so got slightly further.

Thanks for all the encouragement. The power of words never ceases to amaze me. :D