Week one!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Puttingdownthechips

Week one!

Post by Puttingdownthechips »

Hello, I'm a beginner runner (as in, I have always had a rough time getting off the couch) and I just started my first run tonight. It went...okay. I got through the first four runs, on time, and then had to stop, then did the next four runs on time as well (of course, now my legs feel as if they're made of jello). I weigh 235 lbs, (16 stones and 11lbs),im 5'3'' and am trying to get this program done a little earlier than intended (have a race on march 3rd that I would love to finish). Any tips from fellow runners on how to do this or on the program in general?

Update: I've seen a lot of people sending out updates with their weekly progress. I think I'll do that. I like to keep it organized, so I think I'll make new threads for each week...wish me luck!
Last edited by Puttingdownthechips on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shea
Inspired to be able to run, desired to lose all this excess weight.
Stephlperry76

Re: Starting off

Post by Stephlperry76 »

Hi there!
I'm new myself. I'm 240 pounds...5'7"...not athletic at all. I am on week 2 run 2. I was the same way week 1. I didn't think I could add just 30 seconds more, but I did it! Stick with it! You can do it! From what I read from people who followed the program, it works and they all began like you and I!
Puttingdownthechips

Re: Starting off

Post by Puttingdownthechips »

Week one, run 2 was today. For some reason, I did so much worse than on Thursday. I got to the second run before I was completely out of breath, and by run 7 I was ready to give up. It took a lot of will power to keep running. I'm trying to think of anything that could've caused that, it was foggy today, I wasn't feeling great this morning, I bought new running shoes....whatever it was, I did much worse today than my first run. Major bummer!
Shea
Inspired to be able to run, desired to lose all this excess weight.
starknut

Re: Week one!

Post by starknut »

The first runs are the hardest, mentally as well as physically, so good for you for not giving up! You're off to a great start!
Karen Joy

Post by Karen Joy »

Hi there - tonight is going to be my first run - decided to start raining this afternoon (no rain for almost a week!) but I have decided and don't want to give up before I have started. Borrowed a high visibility waistcoat from work and have my head lamp (used for late night gardening) as I am in the country. I am 51 need to get fit and lose some pounds (1) So I look hot when visiting Rome in April and (2) so that I can complete 5K Race for Life in under 30 mins in June. Will get back tomorrow with results. :?
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Sounds like you've got some great motivation, Karen! It's awesome that you've decided to start; that's the hardest part! You'll be extremely surprised that, in just a couple weeks, you'll actually be LOOKING FORWARD to your next run!

I also live in the country, and this morning was my first pre-sunlight run. Like you, I wore a reflecting vest and carried a flashlight. It was intimidating at first, but after awhile, the calmness just seemed relaxing.

Good luck in your runs! I wish you the very best!
Karen Joy

Post by Karen Joy »

I did it - Yeah. The rain had stopped in time and once I got out of my gate it was great. I actually enjoyed being out on my own in the dark as I had no landmarks. eg. to the next telegraph pole, to the next gateway I just ran according to instruction and it was so peaceful no one chatting to me and not a single vehicle, which I also realised I would see well in advance as long as they had their lights on. I am now looking forward to Wednesday. I stretched and stretched and the only bits that are sore are the fronts of my thighs just above the knees! It was not all easy after only the 2nd 1min run I was thinking oh no. Then mid way I turned round and found I was running slower and slower and had to make myself extend my stride from being a shuffle! Also at the end of run 6 the lady says "walk - in 10 seconds" I was so keen I had dropped to a walk before she had said "in 10 seconds". But hey I did it. I did not allow myself to listen to my excuses. I would highly recommend a head light although all of my puffing acted as a cloud in front of my eyes. I felt silly in the vest but decided I would look sillier squashed like roadkill.
FitMary

Post by FitMary »

Hi Everyone! Week 1 for me too. I had my 2nd run yesterday and thankfully, I'm not as sore today as I was the day after my first run. I have mostly thigh and ankle pain. I am 5'2" and as of this morning 164lbs. I'd love to lose about 30-40 lbs but this time I'm gonna set my goals at 5lbs at a time. So far, I've lost a couple of lbs so I'm getting closer to my first goal. :). Oh! I'm 50. 51 in March. This is the year for change.
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Nice to "meet" you, Mary! It's so wonderful that you've acted on your decision for health! I'm really glad I found this forum, because the encouragement I get (both directly and indirectly) before each run is wonderful!

For me, the first week or two was the worst for pain, but it all seemed to slowly fade out once my body realized I wasn't going to stop. :D

Great luck to you in all your runs!
Karen Joy

Post by Karen Joy »

Hi FitMary - Congratulations. I did my second run on Wednesday and no I did not suffer with so much pain in my shins or thighs. 3rd run tonight. I am also 5'2" at 140lbs and want to lose 14-16lbs. 2012 is going to be our year. What time of day are you running and what conditions? I am in the country - ran into a heap of muck in the middle of the road panicked thinking it was a dead animal haha - but very flat and I am running at night about 8pm and with a headlamp and gloves as it was so cold last time. There the coolness leaves me as I have borrowed a highviz waistcoat (orange) with "Contractor" stamped across the back from work! All the best for your next run. :P