Week one!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
FitMary

Re: Week one!

Post by FitMary »

Joel, what week are you in? I'm glad to have this motivation also. I may just make it this time around. :)

Karen, I am running in the morning when it is still cool outside. I'm not in the country so the worst thing I have to look out for is poop on the sidewalk. :D I can't wait until I get to 140. :) Thighs are feeling good today and I am ready for Monday's run.

Happy Weekend Everyone!
FitMary

Post by FitMary »

Has anyone found any good music for slow jogging? I can't reall say that I'm running right now. :)

Thanks!
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Mary, I start week 6 tomorrow. I can't believe I've actually made it this far-- only 4 weeks to go! I know how you feel now, but don't worry at all about it, because in a few weeks, you'll feel amazing! If you get discouraged, just keep remembering that no matter how slow you go, or how little distance you cover, that you're blowing away everybody on the couch!
Mummyrita

Post by Mummyrita »

I started my first run in week 1 this morning! I am 29 with a 4 year old, 2 year old and 5 month old. I have had trouble shifting my post baby weight (I am about 3 kilos above the top of my healthy weight range), and feel very unfit. I have been doing a few 10 minute runs over the last couple of months, but nowhere near regularly enough to make a difference, and I couldn't improve on my distance at all.

I'm really excited about this - I feel like this is achievable, and 3 times a week seems realistic given how busy I am and how often I have to get up overnight.

It was raining where I was this morning, too. I made myself go - though I had to dodge frogs!

Looking forward to getting fit!
Clumsyrunner

Post by Clumsyrunner »

I just did my first run this morning and it went ok, lasted til the end anyway! Feeling as if I might seize up tonight though, glad tomorrow is a rest day! Pretty unfit and overweight, in need of exercise even though I have four year old twins to chase after! Thought I would write a wee post to keep in the loop and hopefully keep me motivated. It's good to read about other people's experiences. :)
Karen Joy

Post by Karen Joy »

Go - mums rock. I am starting week 2 tonight we had sleet and snow this morning so it is cold and wet but I look forward to being out there tonight. Will post afterwards. You must feel great that you completed your run 1 and I thought myself fit but boy my legs did ache after run 1 but then even though they still hurt when getting dressed for run 2 - run 2 went really well. So don't be put off we are all going to get there. I am loving the forum so keep posting and so will I. GREAT WORK
Mummyrita

Post by Mummyrita »

Thanks Karen Joy. I am pretty achy today! I expected it to be a bit easier than it was. I did a fair bit of other walking yesterday too so I was glad to get the rest day today.

In terms of music, I have a jogging mix I have made with some slow songs, some fast. I have ABBA - their beats are good for running (I always run faster when Mamma Mia is playing!) Other songs like Jeremiah was a Bullfrog. Also some by an Australian group called Sons of Korah.
FBrun

Post by FBrun »

I did my 2nd run of week 1 yesterday. It was definitely easier than the first one, and I have less muscle soreness in the legs - after the first one, I could really feel it for the next 2 days despite only running 8 x 1 minute. I went skiing for week a few weeks back, but running feels much harder core. Which all makes the gradual couch to 5K approach essential for anyone starting from zero exercise/fitness.

I have a slight achilles tendon soreness so will have to see how that is by tomorrow. Probably resting for a day would be a good idea.
Locolynn

Post by Locolynn »

Hi!
My name is Lynn. I just finished week one and feel great. I 34 and am the mother of a very active 2 year old (what 2 year old isn't). I was overweight before I had the baby, in fact I've been struggling with my weight most of my adult life and i've just HAD ENOUGH! This program had been so great and so motivating!

I look forward to continuing my journey with all of you!!

Lynn
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Dr. Seuss
FitMary

Post by FitMary »

Hey Everyone!

Week Three! I finished my first run of the week yesterday. I had to skip a few runs last week due to the flu ravaging our family, but I'm back on track as of yesterday. Yahoo! I thought it would kill me, but I survived. :D Have a great week everyone!