High blood pressure / Heart rate monitor

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Trunner

High blood pressure / Heart rate monitor

Post by Trunner »

I've just found out this week I've got moderately high blood pressure 145/88. Its made me feel a bit nervous about running like I'm gonna suddenly have a stroke or something. The doc said it was ok to trun but I feel a bit paranoid. This is seriously bad news as I'm on week 3 and I'm loving loving loving it and want to go all the way to 5k. Would a heart rate monitor help in any way does anyone know? If yes any recommendations? Nothing too fancy (read expensive). Thanks
starknut

Re: High blood pressure / Heart rate monitor

Post by starknut »

I have high-ish blood pressure as well, and my doctor was also pretty clear on the fact that running would not make things worse. She told me that regular exercise is great for helping bring down high blood pressure. I think she's right, because before I started running, I had high numbers almost all the time, and now, having completed the C25k program, they're in normal range pretty much every time I check.
Big_G

Post by Big_G »

Hi, the main thing is that your Dr said its ok to run. A heart rate monitor will only measure your pulse not your blood pressure (BP). As you (& your heart) get fitter your BP will come down as will your pulse. An easier measure would be how quickly after you finish running your pulse rate returns to normal (the fitter you are the quicker you recover). I was tempted to get a heart rate monitor myself (cos I love a gadget!) but in the end I didn't think I needed one & I felt the biggest indicator that I was getting better was the fact that I was progressing through the app & running further. I start week 8 next run & writing it I still can't believe it but it really is just a matter of sticking with it, you'll be amazed at how well you will do. Have fun :-)
Trunner

Post by Trunner »

Thanks for these responses. Has made a big difference. Ive stopped worrying so much the running's gonna kill me. In fact I now feel the real danger would be in not sticking to it! Anyway if it goes wrong least I will have tried. Cheers!
violahearz

Post by violahearz »

I always measure my bp at least twice within 5-10 minutes. Sometimes records are pretty different due to constant change of blood pressure.