Help! 10k race!!!!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
lolly1989

Help! 10k race!!!!!

Post by lolly1989 »

I've just signed myself up for my second 10k charity race. I did my first one in July 2011 but did hardly any training for it and practically crawled over the finishing line with a lap time of 1hour and 37minutes. So, my next race is the 21st of July this year and I'm hoping to get my time down by at least 20 minutes.

Desperate for training advice as I've not run since my last race. I'm 14.5 stone but only 5'5 so obviously carrying a bit of extra weight!!!!
JoelGwood

Re: Help! 10k race!!!!!

Post by JoelGwood »

First off, you've posted about this 6 months in advance, so if you start training right away, it won't be a problem, and you will most likely enjoy it!

Second, I'll tell you what my plan is: I started the Get Running app the day after Christmas, and, Lord willing, will finish it February 24th. At that time, I plan on improving my 5k distance time to less than 30 minutes. I'll spend 4 weeks improving my time as much as possible before the 5k race that I'm planning on running on March 24th. After the race, I'm going to start the Bridge to 10k app that I also have downloaded. It won't be as nice as Get Running (benjon, that's a BIG hint for you!), but I plan to follow it (unless a *ahem* better app comes out) for 6 weeks to work myself up to a 10k!

The plan for both of the apps together is only 15 weeks long, so if you start training in the very near future, you'll have plenty of time to work up both your endurance AND your speed! Who knows, you just might turn out to be the winner of the race!

So go for it! You've got nothing to lose except weight, insecurities, and negative feelings, and you'll definitely gain muscle, confidence, and physical fitness!

Best of luck to you!
matt

Re: Help! 10k race!!!!!

Post by matt »

Hi Lolly!

You've got enough time to get there. And -- assuming you're in the northern hemisphere! -- at least you can train through spring and into summer. The weather's only going to get nicer from here :)

What I did to get to my first 10K was go through the Get Running plan, first of all, to make sure I could run the whole way through a 5K. Then I carried on going out three times a week (well, okay, sometimes twice, if I'm honest.) I'd do 5K on most of the runs, but push on to further distances once a week, usually on the weekend run, when I had more energy.

So I did 5Ks for a couple of weeks, then I did a 6K one weekend, then a 7K a couple of weekends later, and so on, just gradually stretching my distance. You shouldn't find it much of a problem if you stick to the guideline of only increasing your total distance by 10% a week. I didn't find it too tough. And I did my first 10K in somewhere around 1 hour 10 minutes, from what I remember. I certainly looked pretty cheerful when I finished it :)

It's good if you can find some less monotonous routes, as well. I stuck to the fairly boring road by the river next to me for the weekday runs, but explored a bit at weekends and went to more grassy, pleasant places, which helped to get me out of the door and make it seem more like a pleasant pastime than a chore :)

Good luck!

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)