When's best to eat?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
DebsWy

When's best to eat?

Post by DebsWy »

I plan to go for my runs either first thing in the am or when I get back from work and have put the children to bed in the evening. When is the best time to eat? And what? Anyone know.... Help! In week 1 done run 2 and got terrible heartburn this evening!
benjohn

Re: When's best to eat?

Post by benjohn »

I was chatting on twitter with @radeeboi about having a blow out BBQ before a run. Not a good plan :-)

My approach is to have something light (like a banana on toast, or some cereal) about 20 minutes before, and avoid anything heavy for at least two and ideally three hours before.

If I run in the morning, I have a snack, run, and have breakfast when I get back.

If I run after work, I have a snack, run, and eat dinner when I get back.
Biscottisblog

Re: When's best to eat?

Post by Biscottisblog »

Hi Debs,

I always run after work (I admire anyone that can get up early in the morning!) and try and eat regular snacks throughout the day.

7.10am Breakfast - 1 weetabix, scoop of museli, low fat yoghurt and orange juice
10.30am - 1 large chopped carrot and 4 cherry tomatoes
11.45 - handful of grapes
1pm - spinich, chicken and salsa wrap
2pm - apple or cereal bar
4.30pm - banana
5.45pm - Start running!
7.15pm Tea - fish/chicken, veggies, rice/pasta/potatoes

A trainer told me that you should treat your metabolism like a fire - stoke it regularly with snacks to keep it at its optimum, big meals dampen it down and make you feel sluggish. Personally, the banana gives me great energy but if I eat it too close to running, I get a terrible stitch. Any earlier than around an hour, I don't get the energy. You have to do what feels right for you!

Hope this is of some help!
biscottisblog.co.uk xx