Did my first run - feel like I'm going to die!!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
WendiE

Did my first run - feel like I'm going to die!!!

Post by WendiE »

Tell me it gets better!!!
starknut

Re: Did my first run - feel like I'm going to die!!!

Post by starknut »

It definitely gets better! The first three weeks, I think, are the hardest. Hang in there!

And congratulations on your first run!
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Ditto to startknut! It was tough for me at first, due to "Couch Shock" (my body was so used to sitting that my legs completely rebelled). But after a couple weeks of getting into the routine, I started looking forward to my runs!

Now, if you're thinking, "he probably just says that all the time, because he's actually a pro runner or something," I'm not! I'm just a teenager who's finally getting outside because of this awesome app that I found. My friends are encouraging me, and I know yours will do the same for you! I had days where I thought my legs would fall off, but by my next run, I was able to finish the workout! It's not always easy, but with perseverance, you can MOST DEFINITELY do it!

You can check my blog for some inspiration if you want, but I think that ausgirl's blog is better:
ausgirlscouchto5ks (I hope she won't mind me giving you
her link, but she's just so inspirational! Be sure to check it out!)

So WendiE, stick with it! It gets better!!!
Stephlperry76

Post by Stephlperry76 »

I am on week 4 of this app. I nearly quit the first run on Week 1. My legs were screaming in pain. I am not athletic by any means. I am 5'8", 240 pounds, 35 years old. I am now running 3 minutes without stopping! I start 5 minutes tomorrow. It gets easier in that you WILL be able to go further, but your legs will continue to have some screaming along the way as you increase your time. But you will be soooo motivated that you won't stop! Good luck on your first run and keep it up! :D
NeedmotivationCarrie

Post by NeedmotivationCarrie »

I have just done my first run week one and now feel like my legs are jelly!!!
I only got to run 7 of 8 and had to stop so am now feeling annoyed at myself :-( I'm glad you guys say it gets better as I REALLY want to be able to race for life 5k without looking a complete fatty!!
Do u think I should go to run 2 or repeat run 1 and actually try finish it?!
Elizabeth2012

Post by Elizabeth2012 »

Run 2 is the same so just to for it. I would finish week one and if you're still finding it hard, then repeat the week. I'm sure you'll be fine by the end of the week though and ready to move onto week two. It DOES get easier :)
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

I had to repeat week 1 twice before i could finish it and im on the last run of week 9 now and i finish my runs feeling that i could easily keep going. So keep at it and you, like all the rest of us have, complete the programme looking back at your first weeks and laughing at hiw you struggled.
You can run but you'll just die tired