New at running, breathing tips needed

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Shazw74

New at running, breathing tips needed

Post by Shazw74 »

Hi,
I'm new to running and hardly get any exercise. Ive just started week 2 and struggling mainly with my breathing. I'm really struggling to do the 1 and half min. Does it get easier? Any tips to help with my breathing?

Has anyone found they need to repeat weeks? I think I may need too

Thank you :0)
starknut

Re: New at running, breathing tips needed

Post by starknut »

It does get easier, but it takes time. Your body needs to build up cardiac efficiency and lung capacity, and the only thing that is going to do that is getting out there and slogging through those first few weeks! Once you've been running for a while, you'll figure out the best way to keep your breathing even, and that makes a tremendous difference. Hang in there, and don't be afraid of repeating a week here and there if you need to. As a for instance, I finished the program and then came down with bronchitis, which set me back so far that I went back to redo the last few weeks, starting at w5r3 (but then I ran through the cool down, so I was pretty pleased with myself). Everyone struggles, that's just part of running. One of these days, you'll look back and be so amazed at your progress!
Shuffler

Post by Shuffler »

I repeated Week 1 three times, until I could actually sustain eight one minute runs on three occasions. I'm now into my second go at Week 2 and so far the best I've managed is five minute and a half runs. So some way to go before I achieve a perfect Week 2 and move on! My breathing is improving, but I still struggle. The improvement is very marked and very satisfying though. Keep at it.
Shazw74

Post by Shazw74 »

Thank you so much for the replies. It's really encouraging to read how eveyone else is getting on and their experiances. I just did week 2 run 3 today it was a struggle but think I will just keep repeating this until I feel comfortable enough to move on. I can't imagine how I will ever reach week 9 but after reading everyone's post I realise that I will get there at so point. Thank you again for your encouragement and words of advice :)
Carole and Nia

Post by Carole and Nia »

I was the same. I found I was panting so much my chest hurt for the first few weeks, but then after W3R3 I realised I has got all the way to the end and I was fine. My breathing seemed to even out at 3 strides in and 3 strides out and it didn't get any worse. It felt soo good and that was when I really felt like I was getting somewhere and even felt a little bit like a 'real' runner!

Now I just need my legs to catch up and do the same!!
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

My lungs were almost the exact same way! Somewhere around the beginning of week 4, I just felt good during the runs! I notice that I don't have any trouble at all with breathing while I run, and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :D

Way to go!!
Shazw74

Post by Shazw74 »

Thanks for the replies. I have just done week 2 run 3 and I think I did find my breathing was slightly better which is great but found that my knees are starting to hurt now :(
Probably just my body going into shock, haven't run since I've left school and that was a good few years ago. Looking forward to my next run on Sunday :)
Runkat

Post by Runkat »

Hey,

I'm on week 7 and I still puff and pant a lot!! I think its just my poor lung capacity and body shape.

Also if you're a female (like me) then make sure you have a good sports bra to support you while you run as that can affect over all performance and how well you breathe.
Shazw74

Post by Shazw74 »

That's the first thing I got, wouldn't manage without it :)
Think may need new running shoes as my knees are really sore. Hoping they will get better in time, maybe as my weight drops.

Still going strong though, just completed week 3 run 2 an feeling very proud of myself. Reading everyone's post really help. I'm loving this app :)
Runkat

Post by Runkat »

Cool. 8-)

yeh i would invest in decent run shoes, it makes such a difference, I only noticed when i put my old trainers on, couldnt believe how different they felt!