First run

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Nickdiable

First run

Post by Nickdiable »

Hi,

I just downloaded the app and went for my first run this afternoon. I have a question though. I know I'm suppose to have rest days between run days, but can I do other non-running exercise? I'd like to do some swimming on my non-running days and maybe a spin class as well.

Is that a good idea?

Any advice gratefully received.

Nick
starknut

Re: First run

Post by starknut »

I can't imagine doing spin AND running. :o My legs would fall off! Swimming is good, very low impact and enjoyable. Personally, I would do yoga for the stretching and core strength, but everyone has their preference. I go walking with a group of friends once a week on one of my rest days, and am also considering getting into geocaching since I love hiking and exploring.

Anything to keep you active is a good thing, but if your body starts telling you "REST," listen to it. You do need some days off to allow your body to build itself back up.
Runkat

Re: First run

Post by Runkat »

I'm on week 7 run 3... and I have been doing cardio/dance workout on my run rest days, but I think swimming would be much better. Spinning may not rest your legs.