Week 1 Run 1 Done!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
meggie t

Week 1 Run 1 Done!

Post by meggie t »

Hello All,

First, thanks to the creators of this app. It is great! So far. ;)

I have never run before, as I have come to realize not many on here have. I lost a lot of weight about 4 years ago and managed to keep it off. I then became pregnant with our son and worked out through my pregnancy, which was great! I worked out, and still do, with a trainer for strength, and leave the cardio up to me. I used to do the elliptical three times a week, but after my son was born, that fell by the wayside. So now, my weight has crept up due to no cardio and bad eating.

I always said I will NEVER run, don't like running, etc. But here I am and I have decided to give it a whirl!

Thanks to all on this board for the motivation! I have been reading the forum for the past two weeks in preparation for today but I got some great advice on here and used it. I got new running shoes and I kept to a reasonable pace on the treadmill so I wouldn't be in pain or burn out before the end. And it worked! I did my stretching afterwards as well, so hopefully I won't feel too awful later. :D

So, that's my story. Looking forward to completing this program!

Meggie T
SkiPixie

Re: Week 1 Run 1 Done!

Post by SkiPixie »

Well done Meggie T! Keep going, you're gonna love it :D
Run Baby, Run Baby, Run Baby, Run
meggie t

Post by meggie t »

Thanks so much, SkiPixie! Today's run was fine, although I think Claire's timing is off. The minutes seemed to last A LOT longer than they did on day 1! Hopefully it won't be too bad on Saturday, but I really can't imagine running 1 1/2 minutes next week. I guess I'll have to get over that!
Shuffler

Post by Shuffler »

It's amazing how the running minutes last longer than the walking ones, isn't it? You'll find you can do it though. I didn't move on to Week2 until I had done three consecutive complete Week1 runs. So I did 8 Week1 runs in all. I've now done 8 Week2 runs and have just done my third complete one of those. So it's on to Week3 at the weekend!
meggie t

Post by meggie t »

Shuffler, yes!!! The walking minutes aren't nearly long enough! Good for you for sticking with the program and repeating. I am sure there will be some repeats in my future. Maybe in Week 2. :)
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

Meggie: In several weeks, I want you to come back to your post about the difficulties of running 1.5 minutes at a time. I promise you'll look back on it and just smile, since you're about to do not only 1.5 minutes, but in just a matter of time, you'll be up to THIRTY of 'em! Keep it up! :)
meggie t

Post by meggie t »

Thanks, JoelGwood! I appreciate the words of encouragement. I have read so much of this forum and I find what you said to be true. But it is still unbelievable to me! I will definitely check back!
Rfiveh2003

Post by Rfiveh2003 »

How are the runs going now, looking forward to next several weeks

meggie t wrote:Hello All,

First, thanks to the creators of this app. It is great! So far. ;)

I have never run before, as I have come to realize not many on here have. I lost a lot of weight about 4 years ago and managed to keep it off. I then became pregnant with our son and worked out through my pregnancy, which was great! I worked out, and still do, with a trainer for strength, and leave the cardio up to me. I used to do the elliptical three times a week, but after my son was born, that fell by the wayside. So now, my weight has crept up due to no cardio and bad eating.

I always said I will NEVER run, don't like running, etc. But here I am and I have decided to give it a whirl!

Thanks to all on this board for the motivation! I have been reading the forum for the past two weeks in preparation for today but I got some great advice on here and used it. I got new running shoes and I kept to a reasonable pace on the treadmill so I wouldn't be in pain or burn out before the end. And it worked! I did my stretching afterwards as well, so hopefully I won't feel too awful later. :D

So, that's my story. Looking forward to completing this program!

Meggie T
meggie t

Post by meggie t »

Rfiveh, runs are going well, thanks! I begin week 3 tomorrow. Slightly nervous about the 3 min run but I know I can do it. I have actually surprised myself. The running hasn't been as awful as I anticipated. The only run after which I was sore the next day was W1R1. My body wasn't used to all that strenuous cardio! But it adjusted, as did I.

The main factors that I think have contributed to me being able to participate in the program:
1. Proper running shoes! Never had an ounce of shin or foot pain. I was very nervous about this as I remember back in high school hating running b/c it hurt so much.
2. Pacing on the treadmill. I started out my runs in W1 at 4.5mph, with the plan to increase by .1mph per week. I don't want to burn out or not be able to finish the program. I will tackle outside running once I finish. Plus, I need the daycare at the Y for my son.
3. Stretching after each run. So important!! I do the stretches that are recommended on the homepage. Very helpful and it feels really good.

I still need to work on my breathing. I can still speak when running, for the most part. But it does become a challenge as time goes on. From what I have read on this forum, that does get a bit easier. I hope everyone is right!

Rfiveh, good luck with your quest! I know you can do it. I know lots of people say this, but if I can do it, anyone can!

Meggie T
Rfiveh2003

Post by Rfiveh2003 »

Maggie T

Thanks for the update and encouragement! I appreciate the info and any advice is always very welcome, looking forward to my next run...which is crazy since I have never been interested in running till now. I am motivated to keep all the weight I took off past year, had a very bad time in hospital part of the summer, made a complete turnaround and will not let myself go back to that situation again. I was doing a lot of walking but without any further decrease in weight, I even started to do my walks with a 20 pound weight vest, but that just makes me a little more tired. Running seems to be a great choice with my limited time. If you don't mind, I will keep you updated on my progress and if you will do the same I would appreciate it. Let me know if I should expect to hit a wall!

Thanks

Rick