Gutted :(

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Rhiannon

Gutted :(

Post by Rhiannon »

Well I tried to do W2R2 today and had to stop halfway round due to severe pain in my heel. Well not exactly my heel, sort of halfway up my heel between the sole of my foot and my ankle. It started hurting at the end of W2R1, but I assumed I'd just landed awkwardly while running and as it didn't hurt at all yesterday or this morning, assumed it was ok.

I don't know what I've done but it started twinging as soon as I began walking in my trainers, and from the first footfall of running it started hurting, getting worse until I couldn't run on it at all. I wonder if it's my trainers ... they're not running shoes by any means, they're very battered and worn old baseball-boot-style HiTecs that I've had for years. I know they're not ideal, but I wasn't going to get "proper" running shoes until I know whether I can actually stick out this running lark. :) Now I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't bite the bullet and go to my local SweatShop to get checked out. I really don't know if rubbishy old trainers would do this though? I was fine during the whole of Week 1, which is why I wonder if it isn't the trainers after all.

I'm gutted, I was just beginning to think I could actually do this, and now I have to stop until I can figure out what's causing the pain - and stop it!
benjohn

Re: Gutted :(

Post by benjohn »

I definitely reckon you should pop to the shop. They should have a good idea of what is up with your foot, and of course, they'll be able to advise on shoes that will sort you out.

Have you had anything like that before?
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

No, nothing - but then I've never (well, not since school maaaaany years ago, and I hated it then so it doesn't count :) ) run before. Well, unless you count the odd mad dash to retrieve my fast-escaping 3 year old before she does something stupid ;)

I suspect you're right, I should go get checked out. I hate the delay though, as I can't go until at least Sunday, which then means next week before I can start Week 2 all over again. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
niddynoddy

Post by niddynoddy »

I would really recommend getting proper running shoes. I too was wearing some old trainer style things and the difference the proper trainers made was enormous.

Zoe
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

Thanks Zoe, I'm definitely going to get some proper running shoes. Problem is currently that whatever the injury is, it hasn't gone, so I wasn't even able to go to the running shop yesterday to get my gait measured. I'm limping walking, and I can't run at all, so I'm assuming there's not much point going to get checked out for proper shoes until I can at least run a little bit!

I'm very disheartened right now, it's blown my plans for getting on with this right out of the window :( And I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to go back to the start of week 1 again, as I'll have had too long a break (whenever my heel/foot decides to heal) to continue where I was in the middle of week 2. I'm not happy!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

I really suggest going to the shop and talking to them, if it's not a long trip. Talk to someone who knows what they are talking about, anyway.

Maybe what's happened is a minor thing that will go away. Maybe it'll go with some small change, like a shoe insert. Maybe you need a big change, like doing some specific exercises... You're not going to know unless you talk to someone though :-) its really worth doing ni think it's likely you'll be able to get back to running, and what ever this is could effect your activities in the future, so it's worth addressing.

Hope that helps, and all the best!
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

Thanks for the advice benjohn. I have actually seen someone, and have been told I have damaged my Tibialis Posterior tendon. I didn't even know I had one! :) Apparently it's quite a common running injury, and most commonly caused by either doing too much too soon (hmmm nope, not in my case!) or lack of properly supportive running shoes. Yep, ok, hands up, that's me!

Apparently it can take some time to heal, along with using anti-inflammatories, ice packs and general rest, so I won't be running again for a while. But I will be back! (in my best Arnie voice). In the meantime, I shall lurk, read the forums and wait.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

I'm really glad you've found out what it is! Great to hear that you'll get back to the running when it heals, I hope it doesn't take long!