Tough Run After 20 Minute Run?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Stephlperry76

Tough Run After 20 Minute Run?

Post by Stephlperry76 »

So Sunday I did my 20 minute run. Today I thought it would be easy to do my 5,8,5 runs. Boy was it tough! I did it, but I had to drag myself through it. Did anyone else experience this?
SkiPixie

Re: Tough Run After 20 Minute Run?

Post by SkiPixie »

Hi Steph,

Well done on your 20 min run! (I am about a week behind you now, as I re ran Wk 4, but did Wk 5 run 1 last night plus an extra 3 mins, so I am really up for my 20 min run on Sunday).

How frustrating though with your next run! I always think there is a combination of reasons why some runs are better than others. What did you eat in the last 24 hours, good mix of protein and carbs? Lots of water? Right frame of mind? Good music to run to? Sometimes there's just no logical explanation. Remember to write down your thoughts when you do a good run (which I know you do with your blog anyway) so you can remind yourself when you have a bad one.

You might want to run it again before you move on to the next one (so that you have mentally 'mastered' it) before the next challenge.

Keep me posted how the next one goes :roll:
Run Baby, Run Baby, Run Baby, Run
Jenniewren80

Post by Jenniewren80 »

Hi

I did my 20 min run yesterday and now my ankles are really sore and I have to wear a support. Not sure if it was the pounding on the treadmill or bad trainers :(.

Going to give it a rest for a few days and see how they feel then.
expat68

Post by expat68 »

Yep, I found the run after the 20 minute one really tough - which is frustrating because you're on a high from getting over that 20 minute hurdle! I've heard others say the same thing too. Just keep going. :D
starknut

Post by starknut »

I think a lot of people are still feeling the high of that big 20 minute run and think "oh, I can do this no problem!" and exert themselves too much on those interval runs. It's an easy trap to fall into!
selkie

Post by selkie »

Me too! Did my 20 min run and was delighted with myself. Couldnt believe I could run for 20mins.......however when I set off for my 5,8,5 min runs I really struggled. Found it really tough. Hoping the next one is but easier. I am delighted with how I have built up to this and I stick to the programme even when it's tempting to run on days they don't advise. I am sure will get over this hurdle!
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Had the same experience today. Did my W6R2 and it was one of my worst runs. I think that when you do a longer run your body continues warming up. Then you get into that rythym when it feels like you can run forever. I hope my 25 min run on Friday is better.
Nickiwin

Post by Nickiwin »

Hi all,

I had exactly the same problem last night- W6R2. It was a real struggle to keep going and by the end I thought I was going to be ill!

Fingers crossed for next run everyone! :)
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

So W6R3 was better than my last run energy wise but everything else was well..not so great. I'll sound like a sissy here but noting seemed to work right on my run. It was pouring rain which never use to bother me before but did this time. My earphones kept falling out...major distraction! and to top it off my shoelaces kept coming undone. I'm done. Anyways on the positive side like everyone else I still can not believe that I'm on a running forum analyzing my 25min run. It's been a blast and I'm so proud of myself and everyone else on here. Let's keep running. :D
Stephlperry76

Post by Stephlperry76 »

I did my first 28 minute run today! Crazy to even type that. It was gorgeous weather out so my muscles were warm. It felt great! I could've run 30. I'm covering 2.7 miles now with run, warm up, and cool down. I'm on my way. I can't believe I only have 5 runs left!!! :(