Week 9

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
JoelGwood

Week 9

Post by JoelGwood »

Alrighty, zoom with me back to 8 weeks ago. I had just downloaded this app on my iPod called "Get Running," and had a free afternoon to try it out. So I threw my iPod in my pocket, plugged in my earbuds, and headed outside. That day, I "ran" one-minute segments, and thought I was going to die! In those first three runs of week 1, I dreaded every time I would hear that woman's voice come over my music, telling me I had only "half a minute of walking left."

Then came week 2. My running times each increased by 30 seconds!! "No way!" I told myself. There was no way my legs could run for 90-second segments, let alone my lungs keep up with my super-loud, dog-like panting. Surprisingly, my legs were able to run those runs that week!

Over the next few weeks, my legs started feeling ready for the runs, and my lungs were able to breathe deeper and more efficiently to help me keep going! I started getting up earlier and enjoying the time I had to myself before school to just run and think.

And several weeks later, here I am! I have finally made it to week 9! This week, I will be running 3000% of what I could run without stopping merely 8 weeks ago.

Three. Thousand. Percent.

I honestly never thought that I would be able to post this, but I am finally nearing the end of my journey. Coach Claire has taught me to do what I never thought I would be able to do. I can run for 30 minutes straight. I honestly would have laughed, had I told myself that I would be doing this when I started the program. But I'm finally here, and I feel great! I've had ups and downs, but everyone has those. It's what I do on those down days that helps bring me right back to the ups!

I've done this, and I'm telling you that YOU CAN DO IT! I know that the others who have already finished will say the same thing, so keep it up!!
expat68

Re: Week 9

Post by expat68 »

Brilliantly put :mrgreen: I just did week 9 run 2 today - I have just 1 run left before I finish the programme! It's taken me longer than 9 weeks, but I got there, and I'm still amazed. If I can do it, anyone can!
Paul75

Post by Paul75 »

Well done!! I am envious. I am at week 6 run 2. I just completed w6r1 today and it was my best run yet! I didn't have to stop on the second 3 minute break and felt like I could run forever. This really surprised me because I had to stop a little on the 20 minute strait run. The body can be so unpredictable! Well done people. I am really looking forward to getting there! :)
meggie t

Post by meggie t »

Excellent post, JoelGwood!! This is great for someone like me that is just starting out. I aspire to write this!
Elizabeth2012

Post by Elizabeth2012 »

Great post and WOW...3000%! When you put it like that it's even more incredible! well done, what an achievement :)
Stephlperry76

Post by Stephlperry76 »

Woohoo! So proud of you! I'm right behind you. In week 7, up to 25 minutes and it feels great!!
AngusOnTheRun

Post by AngusOnTheRun »

Thank you Joel, you are an inspiration! I hope to be writing something like this in something around 9 weeks time! :mrgreen:
Nickiwin

Post by Nickiwin »

Well done Joel!
Runkat

Post by Runkat »

Awesome post! It really does feel amazing .

I'm just going onto W9R1- but I've ran a bit extra in week 8
just to prepare myself.
I never would have thought I could do this.
I love this app and this forum is great to motivate us all!